Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm more than sure this has been beat to death, but i cannot find the info i am looking for, so here it goes.

I am currently running all drum manual brakes on my 74, I am wanting to make them power brakes. What all am i going to need to make this conversion? Can I just go to the parts store and get a booster/master cylinder combo and bolt it in or are there other things needed for this swap? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or if anyone can post a link of someone doing this already that would be great too.

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
wouldn't mind a reply to this...

I did this... simply bought this brake booster and put it in. Now I have a 3 inch pedal travel before I feel any pressure. The pedal pressure is solid, it just doesn't start until really far down.

This is the booster I bought: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Cardone-Reman-Brake-Power-Booster/_/N-8kn7z?itemIdentifier=44731_0_0_

Is there another rod that must be swapped out between the booster and the master cylinder?
Yes, you need to change or adjust the linkage. Look at it and see if there's any adjustment available at the pedal. A half or 3/4 inch of threads at the pedal linkage would mean a couple of inches or more at the pedal itself.

·
Registered
701 Posts
you need to change the linkage at the pedal inside of the car there are 2
holes there . move it to other hole .

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
wouldn't mind a reply to this...

I did this... simply bought this brake booster and put it in. Now I have a 3 inch pedal travel before I feel any pressure. The pedal pressure is solid, it just doesn't start until really far down.

This is the booster I bought: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Cardone-Reman-Brake-Power-Booster/_/N-8kn7z?itemIdentifier=44731_0_0_

Is there another rod that must be swapped out between the booster and the master cylinder?
Did you re-use the old master with the new booster?

I was given a booster out of a '70 Chevelle, planning on putting it on my '72 next weekend and hoping it all goes smooth.

Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
I did the exact same thing in my 74, bought an 11" booster, used the original Master Cylinder, moved the linkage to the bottom hole on the pedal and adjusted the clevis to .25" -.5" in play. Now i have all drum power brakes :D You should be good to go with your original M.C.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts