Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '63 with a 7 inch booster that isn't cutting the cake. There is a guy on e-bay that sells new 9 inch boosters for 62-67 novas for $139. I'm worried that the 9 inch booster will interfere with the valve covers. Anyone have a 9 inch booster in a '63 with a small block?? If so, any clearance issues??

Thanks,
Andy

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
The "factory" power booster was 9' single diaphram unit. If you have "tall" valve covers, you will have alot of problems getting them on and off. I have a set of moroso valve covers that are slightly taller than stock units, and I have a heck of time getting it in and out with the 9" booster.

Jack

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Andy, I had a 7" booster with Camaro front discs and stock drum rear. It worked great. When I went to Caddy rear discs, it felt like there were no brakes. The harder you pushed, the worse they got. I called Master Power Brakes and ordered a 9' booster. This completely cured the problem. It was pricey, there are cheaper boosters out there that are probably the same. I used the same M/C.

Now this car will send you through the windshield when you nail the brakes. I don't know about valve cover clearance, I have a 6 cyl. I will find out soon though. A 350 is getting ready to be slipped in! HTH,

Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
power boosters in box novas

I have a 63 2dr sedan,I found you will have trouble with tall valve covers when you use 9" booster,A 7"" dual booster is a better if you are not running the stock shock towers then it another ball game.You dont have much room when you start extending the lenght of the master and booster assembly.I was able to get good braking with a non power willwood 7/8 bore master and plumbed everything to the engine side, was very compact and had room on fender side to place adjustable proportioning valve.I have camaro rear drums and chevelle front discs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts