Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what hole in the brake peddle should be used for a power brake setup on a 63 Nova. I thought it was the lower hole but the guy I got my setup from had it in the top hole. I drove the car and it worked fine. Anyone have any exsperience/words of wisdom in this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

·
Super Moderator
7,179 Posts
Most all manual -to-power disc recommend you use the lower hole of the brake pedal arm. I believe it has a lot to do with the angle of your power booster, which in my case is set on an an upward angle, giving me the correct angle and alignment. I think it's more for leverage than anything. Manual requires more pedal effort than power assist. Also depends if your clevis rod is adjustable (mine is) and what booster rod/MC you're using. I wonder if factory power assist used bottom hole on pedal? I believe the MC/booster was flat to the firewall on factory cars?

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Most all manual -to-power disc recommend you use the lower hole of the brake pedal arm. I believe it has a lot to do with the angle of your power booster, which in my case is set on an an upward angle, giving me the correct angle and alignment.
Aw crud, did I get it backwards? :eek: :confused: Rule #1 follow instructions that came with the kit.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Can you leave it in the top hole? Yes. Is that the correct location? No!

I am at a loss why aftermarket companies are not making the correct brackets so the push rod will fit into the lower hole, as it should.

Pedal ratio is very specific regarding manual or power brakes and if you use the top hole on a power setup, you are leaving a LOT of your braking power on the table AND you are having to push your pedal further than you should be.

I am dealing with this on the wagon I just bought. In the top hole my brake "work" but I cannot get the wheels to lock up and have to push it way further than I should, to the point my shoe hits the gas pedal accidentally at times. I moved the rod to the lower hole and it was amazing how much more power I have, less travel of the pedal and a better feel to it. Downside is the rod is at a bad angle.

My plan is to do what I have seen done on other systems, where a bracket (thick flat plate with 2 holes in it) to basically build an "offset" rod. Bolt the plate to the push rod of the booster in the upper hole and the clevis into the lower hole, making a "Z" bar. This allows the correct hole in the pedal to be used but keeps the push rod in the right alignment. When I am back from vacation, I will do it and post up pics for others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts