Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I know everyone will think I'm crazy, but I don't want to convert my car to disc brakes, but I would like to put on a power booster. Is there a power booster available that would work with the drum brakes on a '63? Everything I've seen says it's for a disc brake conversion.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The stock booster is a 9" single diaphragm. It mounts 1" lower than the manual master cylinder, and you connect the booster pushrod to a hole 1" further down on the pedal arm than the manual master cylinder did.

As said, the same master cylinder is used for both. With a 63, it would be wise to put a 67 dual master cylinder on it.

My 67 had factory power brakes. When I first got it, the booster had a bad air valve, but I didn't know where I could get parts or a rebuild so I took the booster off and ran it manual for a while. The only problem I had changing over was that the firewall leaked a lot of hot air until I fixed that. So you may need to mod the firewall if you use a stock booster.

Then I found a guy with a bunch of parts including a bad booster. Got that, the 2nd booster had a bad diaphragm. I was able to make one good booster out of two.

That was a long time ago, you can now probably buy a repro stock booster. Or you can go with an aftermarket booster. The difference between a drum and a disc system is the master cylinder bore size and also the drum system should have residual valves.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys! I wasn't sure because all of the new boosters said they were for disc brakes.

·
Registered
214 Posts
no mod needed with stock booster once master and rod is removed remove the firewall plastic plug that lets the booster drop low enough to give proper rod positioning It's easy with a gm kit if you can find one. i did it in my car years ago make sure you have the firewall gasket or you will have a water leak PM me if you have more questions and i may know someone with the kit. also Are you running original 63 drum brakes? or did you go to the 64-67 drum set up? I saw it on eBay a drum & drum booster and master cylinder upgrade but you will have to put in lines and distribution valve (included) Modification to firewall is needed a hole needs to be drilled.Me I would spend the time and money for a GM kit Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts