Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, who has powdercoated their subframes?

I'm thinking about pulling my subframe this winter and smoothing it completely and then smoothing the firewall. What has anyone's experience been with powdercoating it and if anyone went with gloss black how did it turn out? I'm debating whether to do all of the work on the stock frame, cleaning it and powdercoating it or if i should just go out and get maybe a new subframe from speedtech or something.

Also, what has everyone paid to get their subframe powdercoated?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Powdercoat

I got the subframe out of my 72 powdercoated last year, satin black not gloss. I debated between the two. I have no paticular reason I picked the satin. I am about 18 mi. form the house of powdwer in Standard IL. The cost was $300.00. They baked it, blasted it, coated it and wrapped it in bubble wrap. Turned out like I thought it would, very nice. My sons and I are doing a couple of 69 Novas right now, we have one of the subframes ready to cleanup, etc. We are degreasing them, blasting and painting them with chassis black from Eastwood. We will see what the difference between the two looks like.
I purchased a media blaster from Harbor frieght a while back so we thought we try to redo a subframe ourselves and try and save some money. We will see. Good luck with your project

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I had my frame done in semi gloss a guy owed me a favor, so it was free. I think it's a great idea for the subframe.:yes:

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Had mine done and loved it. Just remember you will have to tap out all threads and maybe remove some of the coating to get the control arms to fit back in.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Had mine done and loved it. Just remember you will have to tap out all threads and maybe remove some of the coating to get the control arms to fit back in.
Luckily my brother coated mine for free. Well sorta free. Guess who is doing all the Bodywork on his 68? LOL. He ran bolts in all the holes before coating it so I wouldnt have to tap the holes. Coated all my a-arms, core support, wheel houses, sway bar, bumper brackets. Pretty much any metal part that can take 400 degrees was coated. It does make a nice difference in the durability and the clean up. Did all my parts in satin black as well. All the aprts really look great. The a-arms had a couple pits in them but he was able to take them out with the powder coating.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I had anything I could take to the powdercoater done. Frame, fender wells, core support. I even had the insides of the doors and fenders done. No more rust for them.

He had a color called chasis black. It is very close to Eastwood's chasis black so my firewall and underside matches.

·
Registered
768 Posts
This is correct. $300 to $400 out the door. Best money you've ever spent. Our guy calls the color "eggshell" black, looks awesome, tough as nails.

ND

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ok, next question, is it worth all of the work of cleaning and grinding and welding and then more grinding to get the stock subframe to look nice before powdercoating or should i just save up and get something like a speedtech subframe that will already be smooth, be a lot lighter and stronger, has the gulstrand method built in, etc., etc.? I kind of want to go to coilovers upfront anyway and everything else that i have should bolt up to it.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
You can go either way, I like the factory look, while others prefer the smooth look, it's all opinion.:yes:

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
With an angle grinder and welder, you could seam weld and grind it smooth in a day or two. Let the powder coater degrease it treat the rust.

I paid someone to seam weld mine and didn't smooth it out. It looks pretty good unless your are two feet away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts