Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am getting ready to change the color in my interior. It is a 74 hatchback. Anyways, a lot of the panels are powder-y, i am not sure how else to describe it. i have 2 complete sets and both are like that. one is blue and the other a light beige. i want to do the interior black. any suggestions on how to approach this? the surface scratches off with a finger and comes off almost completely with a fine sanding sponge. thansk in advance for any advice.
-jay

·
5,134 Posts
The plastic has deteriorated from the sun.
They are likely also brittle.
There is no good way to restore the texture. Options are to replace with better ones or sand them until they are solid and paint them. I think sanding smooth and painting would look tacky.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they are not brittle. they are still very flexible. however, i agree that they might not look great without their original texture. i will try tuning one of them up and see how it looks. hopefully, it will be good enpough to last untill i can afford new panels. thanks
-jay

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
For some reason the colored panel are more susceptible to this then the black, it's probably easy enough to find some from a donor car. My blue 4 door is the same way, I'm just replacing them. Almost all the red IROCs I knew have broken sheaths over the retractor part the black ones were fine though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts