Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to this site. I am looking to buy a 1966 or 1967 nova. I have come across quite a few post two doors, and not so many coupes. My question is: can a post car be turned into a coupe? I have seen 4 door to 2 door post, but not coupe. Thanks

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
As much fabrication and parts needed , you would be better off just finding a hardtop.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
Anythings possible with a deep wallet and doing the fab yourself ( alot of time on your behalf ) ....

Better off trying to find a HT ....

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I think if it was easy all these old post boys would have done their's by now.:devil::yes:

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's kinda of what I thought. But, I am always up for a challenge!! I will just keep looking for what I really want. I am sure I will have more questions once I start my build. Thanks

·
Registered
456 Posts
I would never turn my post into a coupe, never never, no way. I agree, if you want a coupe that is where you should start. If you are new to this then you shouldn't jump into anything without a lot of research. I picked a post car because I liked the way they look and because a lot of hard tops are around and I wanted something different. It takes a lot of time, effort, and some money to build up a car so my advice is to not jump into anything until you know exactly what you want and are getting into. I can tell you that it is a blast! I am basically building my car from the ground up and don't regret the decision to start this project one bit. I also read about guys selling their projects because they lost interest or ran out of money all of the time. Good luck!

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
As much fabrication and parts needed , you would be better off just finding a hardtop.
ANYWAY THE ROOF LINE IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT, ANYBODY THAT KNOWS NOVA'S WOULD KNOW IT WAS A POSt CAR! :cool:

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I saw a picture of a 66 2 door Nova POST car using the doors from a coupe. The guy removed the post pillar in the door jamb at the front part of the quarter glass. Had some new glass cut longer to fill in the gap and used the chrome window strip from the rear quarter glass from a coupe.

Very interesting looking Nova. It had the roof line of SEDAN and the side window profile of a COUPE.

I have looked all over to locate the picture but I can not seem to find it.

Bryan

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input. I am new to the nova world. I have been building custom motorcycles for the past 10 years and frankly just burnt out on bikes in general. And before that i was into lifted trucks. burnt out on that too!! I just love the look of the 66-67 novas. I have a line on a 67 coupe that will need a ton of work, but I am no stranger to building from scratch. Hopefully I will have a project soon, and can venture into the nova world. Again thanks for all the info. I know that this forum will be a good source for vital info.

·
Registered
197 Posts
You might want to talk to the Flyer he has been try to convert his sedan to a hard top for years if any one knows how it would be him:D

·
Registered
407 Posts
if your looking to build a total custom car. with its own unique look then go for it. take out the plasma cutter and i hope you have a good sheet metal skills benders grinders shrinkers every tool you need to do a crazy one of a kind car.

but if you are looking to make it look all original . then dont do it:no:
the day you go to sell it the stamping on the fire wall will tell the buyer its a post car.you might get lucky and sell it to an uninformed buyer that did not care when he bought it.
but most informed gear heads will know.

i just past up on a very nice barn find 1966 2 door post out in So.Cal. my buddy found it car was complete nice. parked for over 30 years. but i cant really get past the roof line. so i just passed up on it. i still think about that car but the roof line its just not me.
i wouldnt want to take a saw to that car. im sure the guy who buys it will give that car its proper restoration and love the fact that its a post car.

so unless your looking to build some off the wall custom nova ? dont bother just keep looking for what you want. you will find it just keep looking

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The sheetmetal skill and tools aren't the problem, the problem is can I make it look right! I know the roof line is different and the sail panels are sloped more, it's the inner quarters I am worried about. I think I'll save the headache for something else and just find a coupe.

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
Hi, I am new to this site. I am looking to buy a 1966 or 1967 nova. I have come across quite a few post two doors, and not so many coupes. My question is: can a post car be turned into a coupe? I have seen 4 door to 2 door post, but not coupe. Thanks
in the end its still a post car......itll never look like a coupe:no:

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Honestly I think the only correct way to convert a sedan to a hardtop would be to find a bare shell of a hardtop without a front clip and swap the whole drivetrain from the sedan onto the coupe . It wouldn't be that hard to unbolt the motor, transmission and front clip from one nova and bolt onto another nova. swapping the rear end, electrical and compatible interior parts wouldn't be hard either. It would be easier than trying to physiclly cut the roof off of a hard top and install it on a sedan.

I've seen atleast one first gen 2 door post nova on Craigslist where the seller cut the side window posts out to make it more like a coupe :eek:. It was listed for a long time and who knows if anyone was interested in it. Physically altering the body style of one of these cars can hurt the resale value of the car as some people wouldn't be interested in buying a hack job :no:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I saw an article in Hot Rod a few years ago where an artist proposed removing the roof and swapping a first gen Corvair roof. The drawing looked cool, it looked like a 66/7 bubbletop. Idon't think an actuall Corvair roof would be big enough Corvairs are pretty small but there are some Buick and Pontiac small cars with bubbletops too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts