Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is long, but please stay with me;

I was lucky enough to score what I believe is a L79 short block and Winters intake off Craigslist. With the knowledge of this site I was hoping that someone can back up the research that I have done so far on the block/parts to verify what I found.

Here goes;

Block casting number 3791362
62-67 2 bolt Chevy II with recessed oil filter pad

Block date code J235
October 23, 1965

Deck Stamping FI209ZI
Flint MI, December 9th 327 4V 350HP with manual L79
My research shows Flint used I as a 1???

I have the VIN stamp but I am not posting it here. Sorry!

TRW pistons stamped L-2211A. Bore measures 4.010"

It has the correct front sump oil pan and dipstick tube.

It has a 8" finned balancer, stamped 3883961, and 137500. Date code of the balancer is L65. December 6, 1965.

The intake is an aluminum Winters snowflake, casting number 3890490.

What do you guys/gals think? Did I find something worthwhile? I didn't get the cylinder heads. What casting cylinder heads would have came on this engine? What date code(s) would be considered correct for this engine?

The problems are that the short block has sat without heads/intake for so long, the deck surface is rusted. I am soaking the cylinders and lifter valley now to try and free it up. I have not removed the oil pan yet.

I think I can find a machinist to deck the block up to the stamp pad as to save the numbers. I do not want to re-stamp if possible.

Sorry for the long post. Just had some questions and wondering about what my wife calls the "rusty" new engine in the shop.

Thanks in advance!

·
14,138 Posts
It appears your research is good. The 362 block came into use for all 327 applications, including the 1966 L79, in late fall of 1965. Your dates look good.
Yes, Flint also used the letter 'I' as a '1'. 490 is the correct intake and the L79 used the larger 8" balancer. Sorry, I have no info on the pistons. As for the 2.02/1.60 heads, two different ones were used in 1966. Until January, 1966, #3782461 was utilized and after that #3890462. Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. Since it was a late 1965 build date on the block, I will probably look for a set of the 461's. Or I was thinking a set of the new Trick Flow aluminum double hump clones, since this will probably end up in my 67 4- speed bench seat car.

If anyone has suggestions on me having the block decked and still keeping the original engine stampings, please let me know. I took pictures of the stampings, but I do know the value in the original stampings.

And to think, the people I purchased all this from was going to toss it in the trash. It makes me wonder how much of this stuff was tossed without realizing what it is. There are still deals out there to be found.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts