Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
possible blowby???with video

I noticed in January that I was always getting a small amount of oil accumulation on my breather for my valve covers and I was running a pcv on the other side. I switched to an evac system and and after a few days it was like I was driving a mosquito killing nova...I switched back to my pcv and breather and as soon as I crank the car over white smoke pours out of the breather. I don't notice any oil loss on the dipstick and the only things I have changed in all this time is the breather setup and also the distributor. When I built the engine I did the staggered opening for the rings and set them up with the gap for nitrous. They are moly rings and were honed for that purpose. The car has been running for 1.5 years and has maybe 500-750 miles on it and it never had this problem until some were around january really bad...The funny thing is the car hasn't lost any power and feels stronger than ever so i don't know what is really going on and how the white smoke can be so much as soon as I start the car up. How can this all of a sudden happen without any decrease in power or performance?

Any suggestions??? rebuild with new rings, compression test, what???

thanks!!

*********here is a vid of the smokeshow. Car was cold not started in 3 days. as you can see the breather bellows smoke as soon as the car starts, and also when I pull the pcv it blows out really strong as well. Also notice that the water in the radiator is bubbling even though the car is barely over 100degrees. So what do you think is the problem?? bad head gasket, cracked head, bad sleeve when the engine was bored? blowby, bad guides and seals?

any ideas?? I didn't do the leak down test yet but I did pull the 1 and 2 plugs and there wasn't any oil on them.

thanks!!
http://s177.photobucket.com/albums/w235/nabit/?action=view&current=smoke_show.flv

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
when the engine is running is there alot of pressure coming out of the valve cover breather holes? is the dipstick being pushed out? does the smoke go away after start up? are there signs of oil on the plugs?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I noticed in January that I was always getting a small amount of oil accumulation on my breather for my valve covers and I was running a pcv on the other side. I switched to an evac system and and after a few days it was like I was driving a mosquito killing nova...I switched back to my pcv and breather and as soon as I crank the car over white smoke pours out of the breather. I don't notice any oil loss on the dipstick and the only things I have changed in all this time is the breather setup and also the distributor. When I built the engine I did the staggered opening for the rings and set them up with the gap for nitrous. They are moly rings and were honed for that purpose. The car has been running for 1.5 years and has maybe 500-750 miles on it and it never had this problem until some were around january really bad...The funny thing is the car hasn't lost any power and feels stronger than ever so i don't know what is really going on and how the white smoke can be so much as soon as I start the car up. How can this all of a sudden happen without any decrease in power or performance?

Any suggestions??? rebuild with new rings, compression test, what???

thanks!!
Best place to start is with a leak down test not a compression test, and if its over 8% there are some issues.

When the block was honed was it torque plate honed.

Here is a good link to look over.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c1-and-c2-corvettes/2289212-oil-pressure-problem-saga.html

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when the engine is running is there alot of pressure coming out of the valve cover breather holes? is the dipstick being pushed out? does the smoke go away after start up? are there signs of oil on the plugs?
there is alot of pressure.

no the dipstick is not getting pushed out
no the smoke stays until I turn it off.
when I changed them a month ago i didn't see any oil on the plugs.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
need to drive it more ! and get on it a little too!
that is what some one else told me. they said the rings may not be all the way seated and I need to do a 30+ minute drive with it at a fairly constant rpm. I have around 500or so miles and the problem just got this bad so I thought the rings would be seated by now but I guess not maybe.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it seems I have either a bad head gasket, a cracked head, a leaking head bolt, or a sleeve in the cylinder that didn't seat correctly...Also it was mentioned that since I am running a gen 3 block with gen 4-5 heads that the conversion head gasket I had to use may have blown out in the areas that block certain passages for the conversion to work properly...

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
wow thats alot of smoke. if you cap the breather holes off will it puff like that thru the dipstick? I understand its a fresh engine but it acts like a broken ring?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no it isn't coming out of the dispstick tube when I checked it...

looks bad though...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts