Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the local junk yard talking to the owner (we're pretty good friends). Any how he's got a 90's model 454 in a dually that runs good for $400.00. Thats pulled straight out with pullies and everything, except tranny. I don't need a new motor but I think it would look cool to have a bigblock. I'm thinking all I'll need is ssome new headers, intake, and possibly a carb. Should I do it? Not sure what to do about the distributor. Can I run the factory 454 dis? I don't think my HEI will work without cutting the fire wall. Just trying to get back into the grove of working on my car i've kind of lost intrest but don't really want to sell it. Tell me what yall think.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i bought a 454 bare block and a used crank for $280 I would of gladly paid 400for everything... everybody told me what i bought was a good deal... idk

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
A running 454 complete for $400? thats not bad. I mean the motor isn't a trinket piece, it has cast pistons, junk heads for anything performance and low compression, 2 bolt block. But its running! depending on what you want to do with it you can change heads and cam and intake, throw some headers on it and have fun!

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I am converting to a big block right now. $400 is a good deal if it is running. Having a big block in the Nova is gonna be cool, and once you feel the torque of a 454 you will never go back to a SBC.

Tiny

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Well if its 90's

The carb and dist will have to go, they have electrical inputs to the computer
throw ya a performer intake, a holley some headers and your good to go, itll still feel nice even though its no LS-6

S

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm going to see about a trade. i've got an old 79 T/A he's been wanting and some other scrap metal maybe I can work somthing out. if nothing else I can add it to my collection of junk and use it later. What are you guys doing for a distributor? Will the HEI fit in the engine bay without cutting a box out in the firewall?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Man you need to snatch that up just as quick as you can. 454 Core engines can cost more than $400.00 and need a complete rebuild.

If for what ever reason you decide not to get this engine drop me a note and contact information for the selller and I will take it, and drive over from Guntersville, Alabama to get it.

Roland

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
my friend found a complete vortec sbc at a junkyard for $500

he got there pulled a valve cover and it was horrible. not close to useable. I shudder to think what would have been uncovered had he pulled a head or the intake.

dont do it.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I seen it run. i was there when he pulled it in. The guy sold it thinking it had a knock. Turned out the tranny dust cover was hitting the flywheel and the plugs on the engine were crossed. The junkyard junked it to sell the tranny. Still cranks and runs. I'm going to try and get it. Can someone tell me what to do about the distributor? I really don't want to by a new one but I do't want to cut the firewall either What do I do? What are my opions?

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Waa-Hoo00!!!!!!!!!!!! just got off the phone with the guy a trade is in the works. He doesn't get into any hurry on these things, plus his rollback is down, dropped a valve:(, but I've got an old car he's been wanting for a while and the $400.00 includes everything between the fan and the flywheel. If the trade goes well i will have less than $400.00 in it. Yall pray with me now. I'm already day dreaming what it will be like to have a bigblock in the Nova:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

So what cam do I need for a choppy idle, more the better, but I'm not going to race it. well maybe once or twice but not on a regular basis I'm more of a cruise around type.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Don't go crazy with the cam, those heads are restricted, you'll be impressed with the torque the way it is. If you have plans to make some descent power then make a plan and go with it, but a mild cam and headers aluminum, intake will bring it more to life without breaking your budget. I ran a 8:1 402 with a mild cam, headers and intake, topped off with a 650 holley in my red one, it was fun to say the least!:yes:

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Id jump on it, if you have to just smack the fire wall with a dead blow, this will get you a 1/4" more without any damage for an HEI, as for headers hooker comps should fit and just run a performer intake and carb, simple and easy with lots of grunt, you will be suprised, i was.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts