Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought a 8.5 10 bolt.problem is when i jack it up both wheels off the groundi try to turn the wheels by hand there is a lot of resistance also while driving as i come to a stop foot off the break i can hear the tires scatch a little.can anyone please help?

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Sounds like a brake issue!

Al

??? Does it have oil in it???

·
4,539 Posts
what kind of posi is it?
did you put the additive in it?
are both tires the same size?
was it in gear when you had it in the air to check it?
are the brakes draging?
how do you stop w/your foot off the brake:D?

Miles

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
what kind of posi is it?
did you put the additive in it?
are both tires the same size?
was it in gear when you had it in the air to check it?
are the brakes draging?
how do you stop w/your foot off the brake:D?

Miles
when u say additive do you mean just the gear oil?the tires are the same size.no it was not in gear.how can i tell if the brakes are draging/or stop them from draging?as far as stoping with foot off brake well you no what i mean i guess you would call it coasting to the stop sign oh it is a8.5 10 bolt

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
It really does sound like a brake issue. To check you will have to jack it up and remove the wheel. Try to turn the hub, might need a 2x4 piece of wood. When turning you can see if the brakes (discs?) are dragging, discs will drag some. Drums? Take them off, rotate the hub. Make sure yer parking brake isnt pulling the brakes closed. JR

·
4,539 Posts
fastest way to see if brakes are draging is remove the drum and put the wheel back on and spin it by hand again if it moves easily then the brakes are dragging and either the shoes need to be adjusted in or the e-brake cable is being pulled ( sometimes when rear dif is hanging the drive line will pull down on the cable). Additive is a 4oz bottle that is added to the oil when you use a positraction unit. The heat generated by the posi unit clutches naturally repels oil and the clutches can run almost dry at that point which makes it grab way to much and wear out faster. The additive or friction modifier is a lubricant that is attracted to the harsher heat and keeps the clutch pack lubed.

Miles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts