Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys,

I have about 700 miles on my LS1 swap and I am ready to change the rear end ratio. I plan to do it myself this winter. I have a stock 63 wagon rear end, I'm guessing 3:55 and I'm going to install a 3:08 and a POSI or limited slip. The reason for the drop in ratio is I'm running the biggest tire I can squeeze underneath my car and it still is running 2350 RPM's at 70 MPH. I'm only getting 18 MPG (I can't stay out of it cause it's wicked quick!!).

The question is do yall have insight on which limited slip will last the longest for a driver quality car w that low a ratio. My intention is to use my car for a daily commute of 28 miles of interstate driving one way, and I'd like to get 24MPG.

I'm shooting for 1900-2000 RPM's at 70 MPH.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I might have bad news for ya

Im running 28in tall tires, with a 4L60E and stock 2.56 gears and at 75 im around 1800-1900 rpms

So without an overdrive i dont think you will get the numbers you want unless your running a gear vendor or 6spd.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Eaton posi with carbon fiber clutches or the Eaton Trutrac. I just installed an Eaton posi in my car about 3-4 weeks back. I also installed an Eaton posi in my last 71 Nova.

I installed a Randys posi which is a Yukon Duragrip I believe in my buddy's Ventura and he likes it.

I got my Eaton posi for like $425 with free shipping off of Ebay.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the price of the Eaton...I am running a 4L60E...the tire size calculates to 26.62 height. I know the aerodynamics are not too good, but the wagon is still a lot less weight than a Trans Am or Camaro. I had a Trans Am w a 6 spd and I got 25MPG on the same drive, I know the T/A 6spd was running lower RPM, but I hoped the weight difference would buy me some MPG's.

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Ever consider installing a front air dam to improve aerodynamics? Reducing the amount of air traveling under the car will help reduce drag.

Comparing your car to a 6 speed T/A is apples and oranges, so expecting the same results is not gonna happen. :no: Sorry to be a downer. :eek:

For what its worth, I've had great luck with Eaton posi units.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks,

I'll look into the spoiler/air dam. I know it's apples to oranges just hoping for a few more MPG...:)

·
Registered
302 Posts
Roll Tide! I have a eaton 3:70 in my 67 with a 245/45/17 backed by a T56 mag/LS3 combo. It will turn 2100/2200 around 70 m p h. I like the eaton I hated the locker. Nice ride... What part of Dixe u from? :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Roll Tide!!!

I live north of B'ham in Smokerise... and I drive north to Cullman, Al. where I work for General Dynamics. I'm an inspector for ultra precision machining...like 50 millionths tolerances...we make optics like night vision for Black Hawk helicopters and parts for the Joint Strike Fighter.

I am hoping to use the wagon for a daily driver...I'd like to get 22-24 MPG if possible. It's hard to stay out of it though. I have a 68 Camaro with a Smeding 383 and a TKO600 5spd, and I think the little wagon is quicker!!!

·
Registered
670 Posts
I live north of B'ham in Smokerise... and I drive north to Cullman, Al. where I work for General Dynamics. I'm an inspector for ultra precision machining...like 50 millionths tolerances...we make optics like night vision for Black Hawk helicopters and parts for the Joint Strike Fighter.

I am hoping to use the wagon for a daily driver...I'd like to get 22-24 MPG if possible. It's hard to stay out of it though. I have a 68 Camaro with a Smeding 383 and a TKO600 5spd, and I think the little wagon is quicker!!!
Keep your heavy right foot out of it and flat out on the freeway cruising you should get those numbers. I get fill to fill average 19-21 and that's mostly non freeway.

Btw this will be an I told you so moment the future, ditch the 4l60e while it still works.:eek::yes:

I could have bought a running nova for the money I've got in mine, and its broke twice, I've now got a hint of first gear, no second and a solid 3-4. I have a built th400 going in soon, MPG be damned I want to drive my car worry free.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Btw this will be an I told you so moment the future, ditch the 4l60e while it still works.:eek::yes:

I could have bought a running nova for the money I've got in mine, and its broke twice, I've now got a hint of first gear, no second and a solid 3-4. I have a built th400 going in soon, MPG be damned I want to drive my car worry free.
You like it about as much as I do. I have one in my truck that got rebuilt with only like 70,000 original miles on it. Don't care for them either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keep your heavy right foot out of it and flat out on the freeway cruising you should get those numbers. I get fill to fill average 19-21 and that's mostly non freeway.

I've had pretty good luck with them... I do know they have to be cooled properly and the TV cable has to be right on the 700R4.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Just saying its gonna be an i told ya so :rolleyes:

at 3000 miles i broke my input shaft getting on the freeway.

at 17k miles i lost second

at 20k miles first started going out, ive been very easy on the car since its my daily driver i just limp it to and from work.

ive had the car running less than a year with this combo and the trans has been enemy number 1. besides a crappy 12bolt

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Just saying its gonna be an i told ya so :rolleyes:

at 3000 miles i broke my input shaft getting on the freeway.

at 17k miles i lost second

at 20k miles first started going out, ive been very easy on the car since its my daily driver i just limp it to and from work.

ive had the car running less than a year with this combo and the trans has been enemy number 1. besides a crappy 12bolt
It's just too hard to beat an old Powerglide, Turbo 350 or 400. Put a Gear Vendor overdrive on it with your 400.

·
Registered
670 Posts
It's just too hard to beat an old Powerglide, Turbo 350 or 400. Put a Gear Vendor overdrive on it with your 400.
I hear gear vendor costs an arm and a leg, im ok with the mpg loss. im currently running 2.56 gears but am putting 3.42s in with a New Camaro IRS.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Have LS2 stroked to 427 cubes with a level 4 FLT 4L60E behind it. 3000 miles no problems in my 67. 3200 stall yank converter. Can't really get enough tire under a stock wheel wheel to hurt it.

3:50 gears in 9 inch with a 26" tall tire. About 2100 at 70-75 mph. Trutrac posi. Pulls very straight from a dead stop. Even more important is if you nail it at 45 mph and it just lights up the tires. Very fun.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts