Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i am new to differentials and in my car i got a 78 nova that i started to fix up when i first got it both wheels would spin and burn out but since then things have happened and i needed to swap differentials since while driving it the whole wheel with brake drum and everything just came off i had to get a new one from a skylark thats not posi(wheels didnt burn out) i took all the gears from the old differential out from the original the one that broke and i want to switch with the differential from the skylark but i went to a professional place that solely works in differntials and they tell me that the one i took out the original that burned booth wheels at the same time is not posi how is that possible?? if i do switch them out is it worth the money or is it best to invest in new gears?? the original differential has 41 teeth on the carrier and the pinion has 17 i uploaded pictures of it if you dont mind looking at them

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
An open differential will cause both tires to "spin" if conditions are right. Posi helps to control 1 wheel spin when one side has more bite than the other.

41/17= 2.4 gear ratio, very tall. Not much good for a muscle car IMHO. Good for mileage on the freeway. My 66 has 3.08, better and acceptable with a 700r4 with low 1st gear. Most for a street rod want 3.3-3.73 range.

What is the ratio in the replacement rear-end?

Also carriers come in different sizes. They have a high/low gear range they will work with. Example going from a 2.4 ratio set of gears to 3.73 on the old carrier probably wont work.

Matching engine, trans, tires and gear ratio will take some study and work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the whole differential out of a skylark and i honestly dont know the ratio for that one and with that one if i'm at a stop and then floor it only one wheel leaves a mark and with the other one both wheels would leave a mark.

So what type of ratio would give me that 3.3-3.73 whats the difference between the two as in how many teeth do the ring and the pinion have to give you that ratio

where can i probably find the information to match the rear end with the rest of the car. My nova has a 350 engine edelbrock 4 barrel carb and has the 350 trans

what type of rear end would you recommend i get

1 - 3 of 3 Posts