Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had an Auburn Hi Performance posi unit with new Richmond gears and Moser axles installed in my 8.5. The shop that installed it gave me an extra quart of 80W90 Synthetic gear lube. I asked them if I needed the GM Posi additive and they said NO. After looking at the installation instructions, Auburn recommends 80W90 NON SYNTHETIC lube with friction additive. Which is correct or is this not a big concern. I have not had the car on the street yet but should be motoring this weekend.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Personally I would go with the regular oil and additive, everytime I have tried to run a clutch type limited slip without additive, it chattered and popped.

Mike

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it a bad idea to run the additive to synthetic gear lube?

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Do your self a favor and read the instructions and see if Auburn even wants you to run synthetic with their carrier. If it is the cone type they are real picky and will cease to be posi real fast unless you are carfull

·
Registered
565 Posts
10 years ago when I changed the gear in my car
the tech at Richmond gear told me to put synthetic
in without the additive, Ive never had any problems.
Tom

·
4,541 Posts
Auburn does not recomend synthetic fluids. The synthetic fluids don't mix well with the additives and you will get posi chatter. The chatter is the cones or clutches rubbing dry and will wer them out much faster. The reason additives are needed is that when the posi's are working they get hot and oil is repelled by the heat and moves away from the clutch packs. The additive is atracted to the heat and keeps the clutches lubricated.

Miles:D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
synthetic vs. nonsynthetic gear lube

JBimmolate said:
Auburn does not recomend synthetic fluids. The synthetic fluids don't mix well with the additives and you will get posi chatter. The chatter is the cones or clutches rubbing dry and will wer them out much faster. The reason additives are needed is that when the posi's are working they get hot and oil is repelled by the heat and moves away from the clutch packs. The additive is atracted to the heat and keeps the clutches lubricated.

Miles:D[/QUOTE

Since the rear end is full of synthetic but has not been run, is just draining it and filling it with non synthetic and friction additive going to be enough or is there another step that I should take?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts