Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I painted my motor with the POR15 engine enamel and I also painted mt exhaust manifolds with Eastwood high temp manifold paint. Looks great! I hope the paint holds up on the manifolds:yes:

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
I painted my motor with the POR15 engine enamel and I also painted mt exhaust manifolds with Eastwood high temp manifold paint. Looks great! I hope the paint holds up on the manifolds:yes:

That eastwood stuff holds up really well! My dad used it on several cars in the past and they all looked good several years later!:yes:

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That eastwood stuff holds up really well! My dad used it on several cars in the past and they all looked good several years later!:yes:
that's good to know. I really like the way it looks too. It looks like real cast iron rather than paintt.

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
that's good to know. I really like the way it looks too. It looks like real cast iron rather than paintt.
Kind of cool the way that stuff levels out! When we first used it we had brush strokes all over and thought it looked like crap, the next day we looked at it and it looked perfect, pretty neat stuff!!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Those manifolds look perfect... Ya PORed it up but good (the engine block) huh.. Bet that will be some solid paint. Durable to the accidental wrench slip. Lookin good bro.. JR

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
Ditto on the Eastwood manifold paint. I wire wheeled mine until my arms hurt, They're still looking great after 6 mos. That POR 15 looks good too!

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Fed Ex just dropped off two cans of chassis black today. If I would have seen this earlier, I woulda gotten some of that manifold paint. Too late, I'm not paying another 10 bucks shipping. Best looking cast I have seen. Always been happy with Eastwood products and service.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I had to do it all over again I would thin it out and spray it:yes: I am not a fan of brushing on paint unless I'm painting base boards in my house:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
If I had to do it all over again I would thin it out and spray it:yes: I am not a fan of brushing on paint unless I'm painting base boards in my house:rolleyes:
Ya never know how a paint brushes on till you try it. I use some industrial coating for all my home shop machines and that stuff flows like honey. I will even use a cheap hog hair brush from Harbor Fright (the chip brushes) anymore cause the paint ruins good brushes. Every brush line lays out. Nice and smooth "plastic" looking finish. The stuff is Frazee Aro-plate. I use their primer too which is by far the most solid metal primer I have ever used outside of the ship painting days in the Nav..

The paint gets all sorts of solvents and chemicals on it during machining and its impervious to everything so far, stuff just rolls off. I painted my Logan metal shaper (my avatar), a Bridgeport cnc mill, Southbend lathe, Hardinge mill, Monarch 10EE lathe and various tooling with it. It can be custom tinted at yer local Frazee store. Solid paint..

Ok, so I sound like a salesman now huh?? LOL Its just I want show there are some great coatings outside of the auto industry for items other than body work, like engine bay components and suspension parts. I see a product I find useful I want to shout it out cause Ive been let down by too many bad products. JR

Oh, and Ive done ALOT of research on electrolytic rust removal and applied it too so thats another story, I got it perfected for even large pieces. LOL As you can see, a lil rust...

Before...

After...

http://www.frazeepaint.com/pdf/628.pdf

http://www.frazeepaint.com/pdf/661.pdf

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi temp paints

am not familiar with any one using the por 15 enjine paint before. any one use it before and how dose it look down the road? say 3 or 5 years?? some friends have been painting with automotive urithane. cover ports ect with sealed plates sand blast. shoot epoxy primer and then color urithane. works good but some burning near eaxaust ports on some motors like an olds.

like Por 15 products am curiouse about this one

Joel

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,668 Posts
am not familiar with any one using the por 15 enjine paint before. any one use it before and how dose it look down the road? say 3 or 5 years?? some friends have been painting with automotive urithane. cover ports ect with sealed plates sand blast. shoot epoxy primer and then color urithane. works good but some burning near eaxaust ports on some motors like an olds.

like Por 15 products am curiouse about this one

Joel
I painted my L6 with it about this time last year. The car only gets driven in the summer but so far there haven't been any issues with it. I think with everything, proper prep is the key.

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
You got a fine looking motor there. I dare you to put a dot of that orange paint on that white "customized" truck down the street from you.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The motor goes in the Chevelle today, then next weekend it's back working on the Nova again:yes: It's so close I can taste the exhaust fumes already.:D

·
Premium Member
6,853 Posts
"custom" indeed!:D I need to snap a pic of that thing and post it up here:rolleyes:

I never miss a photo opportunity when it's this good.........

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

1 - 20 of 36 Posts