Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive heard great things about por 15 and im pretty sure everyone else has to but has anybody used the this particular kit? any success? i would like to see some before and after shots of someone who has used it if possible.... thanks much

·
Registered
351 Posts
I did not use por 15 but something called chassis saver. Unlike por 15 chassis saver will not fade in the sunlight. Ive had sucess with it and will try to take a picture of my trunk and post them

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I used the por-15 floor kit on my Nova years ago. At the time I just didnt have the time and resources to correct the problems it had. Now that things have changed I would really like to remove all the por-15 and cut out some of the pitted steel and reweld in clean steel. I can say after the 10 years I have had it on I havent had any additional rust or damage and it has preserved what I have had since then. The thing now though is I really would like it to be clean painted metal so it looks more like the stock appearance. Its fine for now and I dont plan on doing it until my current project is done but I have no clue how I would remove it all now.

To me it was more of a band aid rather than restoring it correctly.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Removing POR 15 is easier than you think

I found out on accident
Go to Wal Mart and pick up some "Aircraft Cleaner" in the auto/bondo/paint section. Its some paint stripper with an airplane on it. I accidently got some on an area I had already POR 15'd and it all bubbled up just from the overspray and came right off. Only thing Ive found that would do that when I was trying to remove some before. Of course I found out on accident

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
I found out on accident
Go to Wal Mart and pick up some "Aircraft Cleaner" in the auto/bondo/paint section. Its some paint stripper with an airplane on it. I accidently got some on an area I had already POR 15'd and it all bubbled up just from the overspray and came right off. Only thing Ive found that would do that when I was trying to remove some before. Of course I found out on accident
are you really serious? i have been praying for some way to remove this POR 15 from my firewall for a long time now. your like a god :) once you saw it bubble up, did you just wipe it off with paper towel? and how did it look underneath? did you try the Aircraft cleaner again on a larger spot just to make sure it removes it where the por15 is thicker? what does thos aircraft cleaner look like? is it an aerosal can? or like in a pour out type gallon jug? thanks so much

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
POR 15 is great

Every single product Ive heard of anyone using has not allowed me to hear of a complaint yet. Except if you get it on your fingers, then your inked for a few days.

bigdaddykane its in an aerosol can and it bubbled right up and almost seemed like it wanted off the metal NOW. It wiped off in the parts it oversprayed on with only a paper towel. I then had to sand back past the overspray, re-metal etch it after cleaning and reapply

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Every single product Ive heard of anyone using has not allowed me to hear of a complaint yet. Except if you get it on your fingers, then your inked for a few days.

bigdaddykane its in an aerosol can and it bubbled right up and almost seemed like it wanted off the metal NOW. It wiped off in the parts it oversprayed on with only a paper towel. I then had to sand back past the overspray, re-metal etch it after cleaning and reapply
was the POR 15 that bubbled up freshley painted? like how old was it? or how long was it on the part for? and how did the metal look after you wiped it off? thnaks so much

also what exactly did you re-apply?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
The old POR 15....

was a few months old. The overspray got on an area I intended to keep that way. The overspray happened cause I didnt mask enough. The metal looked like the other paint I had been stripping, a tint to it (black POR 15) and tacky

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
was a few months old. The overspray got on an area I intended to keep that way. The overspray happened cause I didnt mask enough. The metal looked like the other paint I had been stripping, a tint to it (black POR 15) and tacky
how many costs of por15 was this area the stripper removed? and ths area that it removed, was it rusty orignally underneath? or you por15 over non rusty metal? thanks so much

·
Registered
391 Posts
Andy,

I will post pictures of the before and after pictures of my front subframe that I used Por15 on if it will help you out.

·
Registered
391 Posts
ok as promised a before and after picture. It's not a floor but I shot my firewall and subframe with it, and well you can see how it came out.

Not the greatest before pictures but that's all I could find.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts