Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will a pontiac ventura rear end fit in my 79 nova it looks like the same setup as what i have but i want to know about widths and what size they came in 8.2 8.5 7.5, posi,open,gear ratio? it also has a inline 6 in it pretty sure its auto, this is the vin 2y6902W252728

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Do you know what year the Ventura is? It will be a 8.2 or an 8.5 and I'm fairly certain they are a straight interchange. I don't think the Ventura saw the 7.5. As for gear and posi, it could be posi and most of these cars had tall gears, 308 or taller, depending on the tranny and engine combo.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I pretty sure they do, the 72 Ventura should have a 8.5. Measure leafs on both cars and backing plate to backing plate to be 100%. From what I know, all Novas from 68 up, rear ends interchange.

I sold a 75 8.5 posi rear to a guy that wanted it for a 71, and the Ventura is the same under carriage as a Nova.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
pontiac ventura rear end

well you were correct i went and picked it up and did my research turned out to be an 8.5 with 3.08 and its opened payed $150.00 WHAT A STEAL!!!

·
Registered
20,121 Posts
Will need a different(shorter) driveshaft I think, could be wrong.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The 8.5 will work but be an inch wider on both sides in your car. Your wheels/tires will be 1 inch further out. The rubber or urethane bushings mounting on the top of the pumpkin are further apart also by 3/4 of an inch. I put an early 12 bold ( width same mounting dimensions in most 8.5's) in an 80 Cutlass. I adapted top arms with some work at the bushings to make it work. Offset kits ''offset upper arms" you can special purchase these days.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
5 speed nova

there are no bushings on the top of the housing? you must be thinking camaro? this if a leaf spring car with coil over shocks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts