Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i for some reason have pontiac rims on my 75 nova and when i went to buy to discs they didnt fit

has anyone ever had this problem or heard of it

please help me out

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
i for some reason have pontiac rims on my 75 nova and when i went to buy to discs they didnt fit

please help me out
Depending on the size of the wheel, sure. It'll be tight with disks from a 15" and near impossible for 14's. Your Nova probably has calipers that contact the Pont rims. Find a Pontiac rim that looks the same for a 75 Pontiac and that'll work. I'm sure the rears go on easy with or without discs.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts

please help me out
Not quite sure what you are asking when you say "discs".
Are you referring to a wheel cover or the brakes? All 75's came from GM with front disc brakes and 14" wheels standard. If you are asking about wheel covers any wheel that will bolt on the car will accept GM covers.
What makes you think they are Pontiac wheels? Are they the rally style?

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Not quite sure what you are asking when you say "discs".
Are you referring to a wheel cover or the brakes? All 75's came from GM with front disc brakes and 14" wheels standard. If you are asking about wheel covers any wheel that will bolt on the car will accept GM covers.
What makes you think they are Pontiac wheels? Are they the rally style?
I thought that he was trying to mount older wheels to the Nova. If so, then he'd probably have some clearance issues.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I don't know of any ralley II's that won't clear disc brakes if that's what he's talking about. Since they didn't come out untill 1968. Now, some 14" whells from 1968/69 may not clear, but more than likely he would have newer Ralley's and shouldn't be a problem. Now if he has the Ralley I's, the kind that look like a Chevy Ralley wheel, they would probably not clear disc brakes.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
I guess we can not help any more until he makes another post. I was thinking along the same lines that he may have the early Pontiac Rally wheels, but he stated they were already on the car. It is possible he has a 74 and not a 75 if the "discs" he wants to add are brakes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys sorry I haven't had internet Im gonna put picks of it later on here. But basically the disc brakes in the front don't match up to the new discs I bought

the rims are a Pontiac rim I'm not sure what kind they are. I'm thinking maybe some one switchEd the whole brake system on it just to use those rims Hopefully yall will know if you look at it. The guy at orielys showed me some Pontiac Ventura discs and I'm gonna take mine off this weekend to se if they match up. I'm just trying to put new brake pads and new discs on. If I am naming something wrong I appologize I'm still learning. But feel free to correct me if I am wrong. I'm just trying to fix the brakes so it's drivable again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes that is the case. I found out the rims went on old fire birds and trans ams. Does that mean the rotors are fire bird or trans am rotors
the rims are on this website http://www.tacreationsusa.com/firebird_wheels.htm they are the 14 th ones down silver with blackish back area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm just trying to replace the rotors. So I need to find out what kind of rotors are on my car so I can get new ones. I don't have the money to buy a whole new setup and new wheels so I'm trying to figure out what kind I need so I can replace the rotors

·
14,584 Posts
As stated earlier, your 75 Nova would have come from the factory with disc brakes on the front. Unless someone prior to you has really been swapping a lot of stuff around you should be able to just get rotors, calipers, pads etc for a 75 Nova and be fine. It sounds more to me like you have the wrong style wheels on the car. Some of the earlier wheels will not clear disc brake calipers.

·
Registered
998 Posts
They should clear those rims. The are 15" x 7" off a mid 80's trans am. Something else is wrong. Post some pics if you can. As everyone else stated you should be able to just get rotors, calipers, pads for a 75 Nova and be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts