Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
? ?

"low deck -- 292" .
Sorry, I didn't want to hijack.
Low deck, as in Chevy pushrod 230 - 250 block (& small bore 194 version), not the tall deck 292 Chevy pushrod truck block. I have a low-deck block turned into a 292-c.i.d.

The OHC-6 is what this thread is about. De-rail averted :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Just completed the motor mount jig that mirrors the angles of the mount supports in the car. With this, I can hold the mounts in the correct position to fabricate adapter plates for the engine.
Just saw your post for the first time and am impressed with your efforts.

I especially liked the wooden jig you fabricated to help position the motor mounts.

A friend pulled a OHC 6 from his Pontiac and I considered using it to replace the 250 in my 68.

I can see from your post that you will get it done, but that swap is just too much for this old man.

Now waiting to see your first pic of the engine setting down in the engine bay!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Thanks -- Cam

just asking , and, u'r right .... I wasn't trying to 'High-jack'

I'm wanting to see this OHC - 6 motor install, also.

.... jim ....

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Bump .....

where u guys be at ....... :sleep:

any up-dates ........... any Pictures ........ ?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Any updates, I just bought a '68 250 cu inch OHC, 175hp six...might try to find a first gen to put it in...
Greg --- this was back in (7th March 2019) ---- just giving this another "Bump" .

I'd like too see / hear more about this swap

Where you Guys be at …. we need an up-date .

found this 'post' way back on page # 11

jim

·
Registered
135 Posts
As Jim guided me to this thread, I'll ask for an update. Engine finally in your Nova?

I'll do the same but with a 3rd gen X-Body and converting the 230 into a 250 with the crank and rods from my GM inline 250.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Hey there guys, been a while! This project got put on hold for a variety of reasons but is now back on in full swing. Here's where it stands as of now. The block, head and crank have all been machined, the new cam is here along with the followers and now trying to figure out a motor mount setup (for the third time...) Also waiting on a friend of mine to do the oil pan conversion. I ended up cutting the sump off of Chevy II inline 6 oil pan as well as cutting the pan rail off of a donor Pontiac OHC oil pan and he's going to attempt to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. It's been 18 months in the making by now and a whole lot more money than I had anticipated, but we're well on the way.

A couple replies from previous post:

Cam: I finally got a good measurement from the centerline of the crank to the top of the timing belt cover. It's 19" on the nose. From the centerline of the crank to the bottom edge of where the hood closes is right at 19 3/4" so I'm pretty confident that it'll clear by a hair.

exotec: The crank and rods will not swap between the GM 250 and the Pontiac 230. There is absolutely nothing shared between the two platforms except the main and rod bearings.

I'll try to keep y'all updated as the progress continues. Thanks for the continued interest!

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
that does look good!!

in the meantime I found my way to the Pontiac Cammers Chapter/Group and got educated quite a lot!

my main challenge is to find Pistons and Rings +.060

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
63 bomb . . . . . Thanks for an up-date . Still very interesting "project" ; and , we all understand 'th' life gets
in the way part' ……….. we're still watching , and good building, for sure .

"just watching & sheltered down " in Chino Valley . . . . . jim

ps : Karl , 'Where too find the "Pontiac Cammers Chapter" . . . . . . link ?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hastings still makes them all the way to .100 oversize. The part number for yours would be 667060 for a cast set. I ended up having to go .080 over.
thats great info!
Thankx

63 bomb . . . . . Thanks for an up-date . Still very interesting "project" ; and , we all understand 'th' life gets
in the way part' ……….. we're still watching , and good building, for sure .

"just watching & sheltered down " in Chino Valley . . . . . jim

ps : Karl , 'Where too find the "Pontiac Cammers Chapter" . . . . . . link ?
Jim, in the PY forum and on facebook

·
Registered
3,916 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I found a fabricator locally that is taking the project. He's going to use the Chevy II sump as a template and build a new sump that will fit the OHC pan rail. Should be done next week.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts