Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the journey begins... I am in the beginning stages of installing a '67 Pontiac OHC 230 in my '63 Chevy II. For everyone that says "they'll bolt right in", here is what I have run into so far...

Engine length: The engine in the car right now (a '72 250 out of a pickup) is pretty tight. In OE form the OHC engine was going to be about an inch too long to clear the radiator, so after installing a '69 OHC pump (which is an inch shorter) and a standard SBC water pump pulley along with a thin line flex fan, I now have an engine that from bellhousing to fan is 33 1/8" long. That leaves just over 1/2" to the radiator.

Motor Mounts: I have figured out that the mounts on an OHC Pont are in a different place on the engine as well as only having two mounting bolts to the block. The hunt is now on for someone with a welder to make a couple adaptor plates.

Oil Pan: Since we all know about the "front" sump (which is more like a mid sump) on the Chevy II's, that brought up another issue. On the car we are playing with, the drag link is about 10" from the back of the block and the stock OHC oil pan's sump only extends forward about 9". Fingers crossed that it'll clear the drag link and pitman arm... If not, I have a good friend at a custom speed shop that said he'd be able to modify the pan to make it clear.

Now begs the question: Have any of you guys ever attempted this swap? If so, what other pit falls are we in for here? I'll do my best to keep this thread updated with progress pics as we move along.

-Cheers

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
very interesting......:yes:

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
You might be breaking new ground with this swap.. I can't say that it hasn't been done before but I haven't seen anyone else post anything like this that I can recall.. Just curious why would you choose this particular engine to swap in to a Nova..?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've always been intrigued by these engines. The story really started when I was a kid... My dad and I were on the way home when the radio in the Nova quit playing. When we go home I told my dad "they forgot to finish the song". I don't recall how long it was, but a Pontiac radio made it into the dash. Fast forward 25 years when I decided to get the car running again (after sitting for 10+ years) and that Pontiac radio was still talking to me. The 250 that's in there now runs, but needs a lot of love, and rather than fixing the old bowtie a friend of mine shipped this Poncho to me with a challenge to get it going before the next Lone Star Round Up. So, here we are...

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117714

this is info from the bottom of this page (or ANY page -- ) check : "Similar Threads" ..... for other post , you may find u'r answer.

I bought a 67 Firebird w/ OHC 6 (Sprint) , with stock 4bbl carb, split exhaust, 4 speed car . Out of the "old - print - Auto-Trader" way back in 78 somewhere in west Dallas.
Car was wrecked in the front-end, and, ended up having a flat cam @ # 1 cyl. That car wouldn't run very good --- after replacing the cam & 'one cam follower' (bought New Cam - $ 90.00 @ R.O. Evens Pontiac dealer on Northwest Hwy & Garland Rd.)
I messed with the carb .... fuel pump and, then checked the timing.
that was it : timing as WAY-OFF ...................
After getting things in order --- that car RAN GREAT & Very Good for a six.
thank for th' memories ...... still miss that 'Bird.

jim

ps.. My 2cents---- KISS ---- just rebuild u'r 250 - six & you'll be up-and-running faster .... and .... still be
" different "

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I read that thread as well as the others I've found here, but nobody ever posted any pics or success/failure stories about their adventures.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah I'm in this adventure with 63 Bomb...

Twinshadows, I like your 67 bird story! I also had one of those, mine was yellow. Had the tach on the hood, as well. Had lots of fun driving that car! Except in the rain, when the posi would stick and I'd do a 360 trying to make a turn on wet pavement. Lol! OHC had a cracked head, from one exhaust seat into the casting. A machine shop welded it, and it ran for years after that.

Like 63 Bomb said, we have been challenged to get this done before next April, when the Lonestar Roundup happens. Some good friends donated the Cammer, so unless it's not viable for a catastrophic reason, it'l be there. The 250 will then have time in the shop for a proper overhaul, so it's staying as well. Will let ya'll know how the swap goes!

Any and all pointers/suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Yeah I'm in this adventure with 63 Bomb...

Twinshadows, I like your 67 bird story! I also had one of those, mine was yellow. Had the tach on the hood, as well. Had lots of fun driving that car! Except in the rain, when the posi would stick and I'd do a 360 trying to make a turn on wet pavement. Lol! OHC had a cracked head, from one exhaust seat into the casting. A machine shop welded it, and it ran for years after that.

Like 63 Bomb said, we have been challenged to get this done before next April, when the Lonestar Roundup happens. Some good friends donated the Cammer, so unless it's not viable for a catastrophic reason, it'l be there. The 250 will then have time in the shop for a proper overhaul, so it's staying as well. Will let ya'll know how the swap goes!

Any and all pointers/suggestions welcome!

My Firebird was a great car ..... & ..... I am a "Six - Fan" .......... :cool:

And, I get it ---- My Nova is 'matching numbers' 250 , so , I'm keeping th' Six ,

When, & if that motor ever goes south ---- I will be "installing A Big Block ... 292 six" (already in the shop).
- we all Like pictures.

jim

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Interesting. I had the opportunity to buy a 69 firebird with an ohc 6, 4 barrel car, 4 speed, and hood tach.
I passed because it was 1992 and "real" muscle cars were still affordable. I ended up buying a 71 442 cutlass.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
and, my next up-grade :

jim

not trying to 'hi-jack' ........ just talking .....

·
Registered
682 Posts
I looked into installing an OHC Pontiac engine in my 63 SS years ago, but decided not to because I couldn't come up with a way to get by the additional length. It sounds like you have though.

Should be a great combination, can't wait to see it done.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I looked into installing an OHC Pontiac engine in my 63 SS years ago, but decided not to because I couldn't come up with a way to get by the additional length. It sounds like you have though.

Should be a great combination, can't wait to see it done.
We're hoping it will fit, the short water pump and a close-fitting fan may do the trick. If not we're in trouble, lol! Don't really want to use a pusher fan, unless necessary. The radiator in the car now is a bit thicker than the original; one of the goals is to have it look like a normal Nova, until the hood comes up!

·
Registered
9,845 Posts
I've been looking at the possibility of putting a BMW M30 straight six in my wagon. 3.5L, OHC, very reliable, fuel injection is readily available if you don't like the twin Webers or 4-bbl carbs. Dual exhaust manifolds are standard, 6300 rpm redline from the factory, 5-speed trannys are readily available and cheap, etc...

·
Super Moderator
3,415 Posts
I like the idea any of the alternative 6 cylinders, but maybe the BMW more. What does the power plant weigh? If equal or better power numbers can be had with less weight, that's certainly going to help one of these cars. If 200 lbs can be dropped and 200 horses had, that really changes the Chevy II experience over a 194 or 230.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I've been looking at the possibility of putting a BMW M30 straight six in my wagon. 3.5L, OHC, very reliable, fuel injection is readily available if you don't like the twin Webers or 4-bbl carbs. Dual exhaust manifolds are standard, 6300 rpm redline from the factory, 5-speed trannys are readily available and cheap, etc...
I like the idea any of the alternative 6 cylinders, but maybe the BMW more. What does the power plant weigh? If equal or better power numbers can be had with less weight, that's certainly going to help one of these cars. If 200 lbs can be dropped and 200 horses had, that really changes the Chevy II experience over a 194 or 230.
That would be interesting -- BMW --

Mike .... would you have a pic of said 3.5L .. ? Inline ?
and, what kind of 5 speed ? - (BMW) ... too many questions , but , cool idea

jim

1 - 20 of 62 Posts