Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the grill, and have worked out the rock dings and small dents, now trying to get it polished and having a heck of a time. I already polished the headlight bezels and they came out fantastic. I started out with 220, then 320, 400, and 600 and then then buffed with compound. Any suggestions, im all ears.

·
14,164 Posts
Have you removed the anodizing from the grill? To do it right, you need to remove the old anodizing and have it re-anodized, or you can remove the old anodizing and polish the bare aluminum. One way or the other, the anodizing will have to come off to get a really great shine.

Bob

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you sir, did some more reading up on this, so is drain cleaner or oven cleaner the best for stripping?

·
14,164 Posts
thank you sir, did some more reading up on this, so is drain cleaner or oven cleaner the best for stripping?
Spray oven cleaner is what I've used. Did all the peak trim on my '63 SS. I didn't get it re-anodized. The aluminum buffed up to a great shine. The only down side is you have to clean and buff it quite often.

Bob

·
Registered
63 SS
951 Posts
I had the grill in my 65 chromed for not much more than I could have had it polished.
Mmmmm, this is a thought. I don’t know how super bling shiny it would look but it would be very convenient to not have to keep up the shine on all those thin slats on the polished aluminum like Bob stated. Can you post a pic of how your grill came out?

Can you clearcoat it?

Yes you can, that’s what the chrome shop that did most of my trim advised I could do as an alternative if I didn’t want to pay for anodizing.

·
14,164 Posts
Agree with SMO'KUM's reply above. I've seen chromed aluminum grills. The key to success is to make sure they're close to perfect before plating. This means being straight, completely stripped of old anodizing, dents and nicks removed, etc. A few years ago, I saw a '63 with chromed aluminum headlight and tail light bezels. They looked outstanding. As with most things in this hobby, preparation is the biggest part of the job.

When I did my '63 SS peak trim, I enquired about having the pieces cleared. I was told it could be done, but the clear might begin to yellow as years went on. I decided to leave the aluminum bare and do the frequent polishing to keep it looking good. It always looked better than anodized aluminum, just took more work to keep it that way.

Bob

·
Registered
928 Posts
Mmmmm, this is a thought. I don’t know how super bling shiny it would look but it would be very convenient to not have to keep up the shine on all those thin slats on the polished aluminum like Bob stated. Can you post a pic of how your grill came out?

Yes you can, that’s what the chrome shop that did most of my trim advised I could do as an alternative if I didn’t want to pay for anodizing.
do you remember what they were going to charge to anodize it

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Why would you make it hard for your self. They make products specially designed to remove it. Look up blue lightning annodize remover. Oven cleaner can damage the aluminum very easily

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for the responses, one more question, how do the repops look? if i decide to go that way. this is not #'s car or SS but just want great looking driver.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ive been looking for feedback on the repop grills also. Ive done a lot of trim and stainless restoration and I like doing it, but there isn't anyone in my area that does the anodizing any more.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts