1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
A Pertronix kit is the first change I make to any points ignition car I work on.

·
Super Moderator
4,005 Posts
A Pertronix kit is the first change I make to any points ignition car I work on.
Same. And I am usually the luddite and the type to try to keep the car stock, but points are only exactly right a short time, and then they aren't. One factor overlooked in the article is wear of the distributor shaft. Play of .003 to .005 is bad enough, and can make point gap fluctuate with every turn of the distributor, but if worn excessively, your point gap may go from .012-.024, and as points wear, that only gets worse.

So pull the distributor and replace the bushings so there's no play in the shaft. Then why not put in a Pertronix and forget about it?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Good read. Aircooled VW guys don't have the same kind of luck with petronix. Most say to carry points with you so that WHEN the petronix craps the bed, you can get home.

·
Super Moderator
4,005 Posts
Good read. Aircooled VW guys don't have the same kind of luck with petronix. Most say to carry points with you so that WHEN the petronix craps the bed, you can get home.
Not to hijack the thread, but what's the VW problem? Had pertronix in a '65 12V car, a '71 Super and now my son's '70. Never missed a beat, and probably 40K miles between all three cars.

·
Registered
384 Posts
That was a good read, actually. I have a Pertronix distributor I bought for my 400 this past fall with an Ignitor 3 module that I've been itching to try. The allure of a digital rev limiter built-in to correct the loose nut behind the wheel should come in a little more than handy.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but what's the VW problem? Had pertronix in a '65 12V car, a '71 Super and now my son's '70. Never missed a beat, and probably 40K miles between all three cars.
From what I read, they just fail without warning. I haven't looked into it in years but that was the consensus 10 or so years ago. Maybe they have got better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts