Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a '69 Nova and would like to tune it up. I'm not sure when the last tune up was, but I want to convert the points style ignition to and HEI style. I have read up on HEI ignition on these boards, and a lot of people say the distributor sometimes won't clear the firewall because it's too big. I have a couple questions regarding this procedure.

1.) What all do I need to buy for this? From what I have gathered, if I want to replace everything, I would need a distributor, cap, rotor, coil, HEI module, spark plugs, and wires.

2.) Is it better to go ahead and buy the whole distributor with everything HEI-wise already installed (like the ones MSD or Summit sells), or should I get a conversion kit (i.e. Pertronix Ignitor series). If I do go with the conversion kit, does it come with EVERYTHING I need, or is there anything else I need to buy (I only want to pay shipping once).

3.) If I buy the new distributor with HEI already integrated, do I need to worry about firewall clearance?

Basically, I just wanted to see what people's opinions on this were. Should I go with a whole new distributor with everything already in, or should I do it myself with the old, stock distributor. Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Fire wall clearance.
Nothing a rubber mallet will no fix, If needed.

Distributor.
Buy a complete unit.
This is the best deal on the net!
TJ Motorsports has this dist
(It is the same as the GM Hp unit.)

You can not beat this deal!
http://www.tommyjohnsons.com/catalo...d=829&osCsid=a4b49682abb3f4f963f538927ebbb9b8

TOLL FREE 1-800-628-0567

*SALE* SBC/BBC HEI DISTRIBUTOR RED CAP
[988-PC6001D] $69.95
***WHILE SUPPLIES LAST***
These HEI distributors are the perfect upgrade for non computer controlled engines. This 100% NEW distributor features the following:
Fully CNC machined-polished housing. Adjustable vacuum advance canister to improve economy while cruising. Premium caps with brass terminals and a low-saturation ignition module. High output coil which produces 50,000 volt spark through to 7,500 RPM. 4340 Chromolly steel bottom gear, for use with cast and steel billet cams. It also features true spark alignment for instantaneous response at high RPM.
P/N: 988-PC6001D

Only requirement for install is plug wires and changing out the factory resistor power wire that currently goes to the + Positive side of the coil. From Firewall to Dist.

This is a good change and will help the performance of the vehicle greatly.

Al

Tell them Big Al said call!

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Fire wall clearance.

Distributor.
Buy a complete unit.

http://www.tommyjohnsons.com/catalo...d=829&osCsid=a4b49682abb3f4f963f538927ebbb9b8

TOLL FREE 1-800-628-0567

[988-PC6001D] $69.95
These HEI distributors are the perfect upgrade for non computer controlled engines. This 100% NEW distributor features the following:
Fully CNC machined-polished housing. Adjustable vacuum advance canister to improve economy while cruising. Premium caps with brass terminals and a low-saturation ignition module. High output coil which produces 50,000 volt spark through to 7,500 RPM. 4340 Chromolly steel bottom gear, for use with cast and steel billet cams. It also features true spark alignment for instantaneous response at high RPM.

Only requirement for install is plug wires and changing out the factory resistor power wire that currently goes to the + Positive side of the coil. From Firewall to Dist.

Al

Hmmmmmm......... I have been thinking about dumping my mallory unilite breakerless distributor with an HEI...... but am worried about the firewall also, as a hammer will not be used in engine bay :)

looks like a great deal though.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So this is all I need then, besides spark plug wires and the resistor power wire? There will be no need to purchase a coil or anything else? I just want to be absolutely sure this is all I am going to need so I don't have to pay shipping more than once.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
So this is all I need then, besides spark plug wires and the resistor power wire? There will be no need to purchase a coil or anything else? I just want to be absolutely sure this is all I am going to need so I don't have to pay shipping more than once.
The dist I listed comes with everything, the coil located in the top of the cap.

No smoke and mirrors. It's that easy.

I would use a resistor wire.

You can go with a performance plug wires or purchase factory based wires if you do not have headers. The application will be 1975-1978 V8 Chevy.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Mine was set up with the new style HEI. but I didnt like the close clearance between the firewall and dist. even tho it was hammered on already, I decided I wanted to stay with the stock points style dist. for looks, so I installed the Pertronix Ignitor system and the Pertronix flame thrower coil. it was easy and Iam happy with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok Big Al. I bought the distributor you suggested! I am anxious to see how much it will improve things, because I have no idea when the previous owner tuned the car up last (it's running kind of sluggish, to be honest). Now all I need are some plugs, wires, and a resistor wire. And to clarify (and I should have asked this before I bought it), this DOES work on my '69 Nova with a 350, right?

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Ok Big Al. I bought the distributor you suggested! I am anxious to see how much it will improve things, because I have no idea when the previous owner tuned the car up last (it's running kind of sluggish, to be honest). Now all I need are some plugs, wires, and a resistor wire. And to clarify (and I should have asked this before I bought it), this DOES work on my '69 Nova with a 350, right?
HOLD ON!!!

The original power wire to the coil is a resistor wire.

You do not install a new resistor power wire, you eliminate the resistor type wire and replace with a regular 14ga wire.

Dist does work in any sbc V8 And most BBC also except tall block aplications.

Al

·
Registered
566 Posts
14 AWG will probably be fine, but personally, I like to use 12 AWG.

You will have to get HEI wires for the plugs, but no reason to change the plugs. ( unless they NEED to be changed ) Just re-gap them to .030 - 035 ( I think )

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Fire wall clearance.

Distributor.
Buy a complete unit.

TOLL FREE 1-800-628-0567

[988-PC6001D] $69.95

Al

Thanks Big Al, I just got mine yesterday. Not sure, but looks like it comes with two heavy springs, so will need to buy a curve kit, but am otherwise pleased. Price is impossible to beat :yes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts