Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some pictures or info on how they hooked up their fuel lines from the fuel cell to electric pump? Fitting sizes would help alot. Im running the blue holley electric pump. "
-Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Talk about timing. I just finished this today. Here is what I used and a few pics.

Everything is Earls -8an
from the tank:
Tank -8 male
90 degree -8 female to -8 female
-8 male to 3/8 NPT male
Fuel shut off 3/8 NPT female to -8 male
-8 female to -8 hose
8" -8 hose to -8 female
-8 male to 3/8 NPT male
Holley Blue (used the red for mock up)
3/8 NPT to -8 male
-8 female to hose
hose to -8 female
-8 male to 3/8 NPT
Fuel filter
3/8 NPT male to -8 45degree male

I will be adding Earls 85 micron pre filter just before the pump soon. This side is for the engine tomorrow I start the other side of cell for Nitrous will use the red pump there but the two systems will match.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
If you don't want to use steel braided, you can use Parker Push Lok hose and ends. Russel sells it. It is good for gas and alky. I have it on my car and I'll try to take some pics. I'm leaving for the Nationals tomorrow. Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Electric and/or mechanical

Do I need and electric pump up to my mechanical pump, I am concerned that the lau:confused:nch may stop the flow.

·
Premium Member
2,313 Posts
Can anyone give me some pictures or info on how they hooked up their fuel lines from the fuel cell to electric pump? Fitting sizes would help alot. Im running the blue holley electric pump. "
-Thanks for the help
John has really good information on his web site...here is a link to the fuel pump diagram. He also has diagrams for pressure regulators and return lines.

http://www.product-engr.com/pump_install.htm

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I would put the filter before the pump. If you can, what I would do is change the 1 outlet of the tank to feed the filter to be #10, then #8 after the filter. Mine is #12 to the filter and then #10 up to the regulator, with 2 #8's feeding the carb. You can use and most companies recommend, 2 #6's to the carb.

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
The correct way is to have an 80-100 micron filter between the sump and pump and a 10 micron filter between the pump and regulator and/or carb.

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
I would put the filter before the pump. If you can, what I would do is change the 1 outlet of the tank to feed the filter to be #10, then #8 after the filter. Mine is #12 to the filter and then #10 up to the regulator, with 2 #8's feeding the carb. You can use and most companies recommend, 2 #6's to the carb.

That -12 is huge. My buddy had his like yours on a low to mid 9 second ride. Same size with a -12 into the pump, then -10, and -8 to the carb.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts

You should not run that loop!!!!!!
I have been down this road many times.

The loop will cause a lock.

If the loop gets fuel spilled into it it will cause a liquid lock. And the tank will not vent correctly.

this has been proved and seen by me in marine applications.

It will work correctly in a role over, as it would without the loop.

Splash fuel into that loop and you have closed the vent. The fuel pump vacuum can not over come the lock.

The vent must pass air freely.

Be warned.

Al

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
You should not run that loop!!!!!!
I have been down this road many times.

The loop will cause a lock.

If the loop gets fuel spilled into it it will cause a liquid lock. And the tank will not vent correctly.

this has been proved and seen by me in marine applications.

It will work correctly in a role over, as it would without the loop.

Splash fuel into that loop and you have closed the vent. The fuel pump vacuum can not over come the lock.

The vent must pass air freely.

Be warned.

Al
Good eye! :yes:

I didn't catch that. :no:

He's right, this will cause problems. :yes:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Al,

That is a very interesting thought. We always ran a loop in our cars because the local tech guys required it. That was 15-20 years ago mind you. I guess the loop is no longer required? I'm just getting my new car sorted out for next season and was about to put a loop in the vent line :).

Chris.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Thanks Al, but it's been in the car for 8 years with never an issue. I understand what you are saying for a boat, but in my car, the tank is never more than half full, and the tank is pitched back in the car so the vent is the highest point of the tank. The loop SHOULD be horizontal, so it drains back to the tank if that fills up.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Thanks Al, but it's been in the car for 8 years with never an issue. I understand what you are saying for a boat, but in my car, the tank is never more than half full, and the tank is pitched back in the car so the vent is the highest point of the tank. The loop SHOULD be horizontal, so it drains back to the tank if that fills up.
Vapors turn to liquid.

A hard stop and fluid can slosh in the vent loop.

It's not a good practice to follow.

Al

·
Registered
767 Posts
Talk about timing. I just finished this today. Here is what I used and a few pics.

Everything is Earls -8an
from the tank:
Tank -8 male
90 degree -8 female to -8 female
-8 male to 3/8 NPT male
Fuel shut off 3/8 NPT female to -8 male
-8 female to -8 hose
8" -8 hose to -8 female
-8 male to 3/8 NPT male
Holley Blue (used the red for mock up)
3/8 NPT to -8 male
-8 female to hose
hose to -8 female
-8 male to 3/8 NPT
Fuel filter
3/8 NPT male to -8 45degree male

I will be adding Earls 85 micron pre filter just before the pump soon. This side is for the engine tomorrow I start the other side of cell for Nitrous will use the red pump there but the two systems will match.

Nice set up BTW!!
:yes:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts