Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
74 sbc 350.

What plugs and wires do you recommend? And from where? I know not to buy an of the "As Seen On TV" ones!

Should I get them from Summit or local Napa?

If I am going to change the plugs and wires should I do the cap and rotor? Im only changing plugs and wires because I just did headers and figured they where out.

Whats the gap for stock 350 only mod thus far is the headers?

Thanks in advance, this site has been a huge help!

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I use Taylor wires and AC delco plugs, what distributor and coil do you have? This will determine the gap setting of the plugs.

·
Registered
609 Posts
taylot wires or msd wires will last a long time and of couse AC plugs.

i only do cap and rotor when the car needs them

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use Taylor wires and AC delco plugs, what distributor and coil do you have? This will determine the gap setting of the plugs.
Im going to assume they are original or at least stock replacement. My car was owned by an old lady and has 52,000 miles.

Should I just leave the cap and rotor and just do plugs and wires?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The gap should be .035 for a 74 350.

·
Registered
609 Posts
awww,

i remember now.

Just buy some cheap wires
(autozone) for now and upgrade to good ones when you convert to an HEI.
(the plug wire ends are differnt from points to HEI)

thats what i would do

how did the starter deal work out? or did you just go with a stock replacment

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Have a look at the cap and rotor, replace them if they show any wear, I would anyway, it's cheap insurance.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
Just a heads up...
I needed to replace my plug wires and decided to replace them immediately rather than wait for a shipment from jegs...I paid 51.00 for a set of Accel wires(Napa) only to find that jegs had them for 31.99. If you have the time, order them through the catalog. You'll save a couple bucks...
a couple here....a couple there...it adds up!!
Have fun!! Sting

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awww,

i remember now.

Just buy some cheap wires
(autozone) for now and upgrade to good ones when you convert to an HEI.
(the plug wire ends are differnt from points to HEI)

thats what i would do

how did the starter deal work out? or did you just go with a stock replacment
Starter installed fine. I bought the diode wire from summit . Pretty simple.

The headers are in, damn what a PITA the passenger header bolt closest to the firewall was still not sure its completely tight, but I will find out soon enough. I will have to tighten them all a few times after running the engine.

Now I need to install the new Tranny coolant lines, found a small leak in one while installing the starter.

Then plugs and wires and thermostat.

Then I can start it and hope everything works.....:confused:

Then I will drive it a bit and try to install the manifold and 4 barrel carb. Not sure if I can do that by myself but I sure will try. Unless anyone wants to come help:D BBQ and Beers?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a heads up...
I needed to replace my plug wires and decided to replace them immediately rather than wait for a shipment from jegs...I paid 51.00 for a set of Accel wires(Napa) only to find that jegs had them for 31.99. If you have the time, order them through the catalog. You'll save a couple bucks...
a couple here....a couple there...it adds up!!
Have fun!! Sting
Thanks Sting, It definitely adds up!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Performance Distributors - they have great looking wires - custom length and covered in heat protective sleeve all the way and numbered too and you can get billet wire separators with them.I have them on the Jeep and the Nova. IMO - they're the cleanest looking wires and just look a bit better than the norm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts