Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to plug the hole in the block where the old dipstick was,motor has a front sump on it now..any ideas..when i got the car the previous owner had the hole filled with silicone!

·
Premium Member
13,309 Posts
small welch plug would be the easiest.... drill and tap with a allen head set screw would be next.....

Last would be...(not preferred) clean the hole.... fill with a epoxy putty, like : Plumbers epoxy, or PC7.....

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
when i got the car the previous owner had the hole filled with silicone!
What wrong with the silicone?
Common way to do it.

If you find someone who purchase a GM crate engine with duel dipstick location, they may have the steel plug used for the drivers side dipstick. They come with a plug for both sides.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I used silicone to seal mine with a 7/16 or 1/2. x 1" bolt...

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Or you could do like I saw the other day and just get a piece of wood dowel and drive it in there.:rolleyes:

Really, your local parts house should be able to get you a soft plug (looks like a little freeze plug) for a buck or so. Some of the small hardware stores will stock them as well.

·
0 Posts
I used a piece of my finger :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Get it...... Piece :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
not sure what size that hole is for a soft plug like a front oil galley plug? if not you can tap it for a 1/4" pipe plug.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If you find someone who purchase a GM crate engine with duel dipstick location, they may have the steel plug used for the drivers side dipstick. They come with a plug for both sides.
small freeze plug!
x2
no need to tap it, thats just more work.
Clevite makes them, and you can go to napa/advance etc and get a freeze plug or expansion plug to fit perfect. Just set it in and use a punch to pound it in and seal.
I want to say 3/8 or 7/16. They are like 60 cents each.
I went through this with my v8 wagon 2 weeks ago.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts