Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a diagram of the plug wire routing for a 283? I can't find my manuals, as I'm moving,packed them up and have goofed up the wires on my 283. it is a stock motor non-HEI
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got that, thanks. What i need is an actual diagram showing the wires going to the cap and plugs. Sorry i guess I should have been a little more clear.

·
Premium Member
1,566 Posts
Hope this is what you are looking for .

Good luck.
and the plugs are:
Passenger -- Drivers Side (US)
---8---------------------7
---6---------------------5
---4---------------------3
---2---------------------1
-- Front/waterpump

Note if distributor rotor/shaft was not installed in stock position, where #1 plug is on the cap could be different than pictured.

More notes on Distributors and wires.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try this setup. Engine cranks but wont fire. When I turn the dist. I get backfire from the carb. Was running OK then started missing under load and best I can do is 15-20 mph up hills. (enging is in a '65 Suburban). Have a friend coming over to play with it today.
Thanks for the pix.

·
Registered
265 Posts
usually when i time up a sbc... i use that firing order.. but move all those numbers back one post.. that way plug number 1 is aligned with cylinder number 1 at tdc. but the old school trick is if the timing is too far out drop the wires a post over all the way around and go from there.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts