1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I've never had a problem with them.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
They are doing fine on my car just like the Taylors did before them. 757 HP and 632 Lb torque. Not sure why your dad doesn't like them but I've had several sets with no problems. RM

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
novadude33 said:
My dad says Msd wires are crap. I was wondering what everyone elses opinions are. Thanks.
You dad is full of crap. MSD wires are what I've used for the V8 in my Nova. They run great and even when the headers burned through 2 of them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks my dad says to stick with all gm but i dont think gm wires hold up to the heat of headers real well.

I

·
0 Posts
What you should look for in any spark plug wire are these features:

Magnetic suppression (M/S). this is a resistance wire.

Spiral (or "magna") core (S/C), this is the shielding that holds the voltage into the wire. The more shielding, the less chance of RF (radio frequency) crossover of voltage from one wire and plug, to another.

A wire I have used in the past is a magnetic suppression, spiral core 8mm, and even 7mm, for HEI and MSD use, manufactured by Borg-Warner, and is their "Select" line of wires. These wires are as good as any aftermarket performance wire, and have features like being lifetime warranteed.

Copper/steel "wire" style plug wires should not be used with any ignition system more poewrful than a stock points type. They offer NO shielding and will cause overloading if RF is encountered, especially in electronic ignition systems.

MSD wires are no better or worse than any other GOOD set of M/S-S/C wires are. M/S-S/C wire sets I have personally found NOT to work well are Split-Fire, Jacobs (really sub-standard), and some Chinese made wire sets.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My dad says Msd wires are crap. I was wondering what everyone elses opinions are. Thanks.

I really think your dad should get out of the 60's. Its called technology. Funny thing is, is that stock GM wires are probably the same price as MSD wires.

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

I run the MSD Super Conductors on my 350 without any issues at all. Very, very low resistance wire. I'd go with them anyday over GM wires!

Jason

·
4,542 Posts
I've got MSD wires on my camaro and they work great. I've got accel on my nova since the parts store was out of stock on the msd's

Miles:D

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
novadude33 said:
thanks my dad says to stick with all gm but i dont think gm wires hold up to the heat of headers real well.
I am not aware of a GM wire that will take the heat from a set of headers. The factory boots can't handle it. Of course, if daddy is buying the wires, you may have to bite your lip and just wait until he is proven wrong. Sometimes it is better let someone see things for themselves.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I ran MSD wires and the heat from the headers bubbled the outer layer (it appeared as though there were air pockets in them). I had this problem on 2 sets of MSD wires. I finally went to Moroso blue max wires. Never had a problem with them.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
No problems with MSD

OKay any wire will burn. It's a simple fact. I have MSD's now on my Camaro and they have lasted a long time. I have also used Moroso Blue Max and liked those too.

The only wires I have never liked are Accel. They seem to be made out of matchsticks!:D

·
Registered
132 Posts
I ran MSD wires and the heat from the headers bubbled the outer layer (it appeared as though there were air pockets in them). I had this problem on 2 sets of MSD wires.
I had the same problem, they lasted about 10 minutes of running time. These were their Heli-Coil wires (the blue ones). They waranteed them and sent a set of Super Conductors in their place. They have been trouble free since. Good luck...

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I had a set of Taylor wires blister like that a few years ago. They were not very old but a couple blistered at the loom connections. I figured the loom was too small for the wire size. Not positive that was the cause and now I changed the headers and run the wires under the headers and don't use the looms. While they looked kind of sorry they worked fine with no problems even with the blisters. RM

·
Registered
121 Posts
I run the MSD wires on both our race cars with out ever having a problem. This year on my car I installed the Moroso Ultra 40 wires with the insulating sleeve on it. You know how it is. Got to try a new product and see if its better.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
MSD sent me a set of wires along with the new 7AL-2+ box; slowed down A LOT! I don't know why, maybe it's a RFI thing(I have a lot of wiring close to where the wires have to go) I re-installed my old burned up Taylor 10.4MM wires and the speed came right back. The only thing I can figure is the extra insulation on the Taylors helps with interference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the informative responses. I will try the msd wires and see if i like them. I will have to prove him wrong for once.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts