Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1967 nova ss 327 with true dual exhaust, no headers just an stock manifolds. I am planning to replace muffles only because it is too silent for my taste. I have low cash so I don't want to do an whole ex conversion or pay for a Pypes system or whatever. I'd like something nice sounding, not too deep not too loud considering my neighbors and especially my wife. My wife always complain that my nova is too loud but she never say bad about my Harley which I don't understand. I ride my straight pipe shovelhead Harley every weekday at 8:00 am to go to work so that volume of sound would be the limit of the sound my sorroundigs can accept I guess. Please let me know the mufflers I should buy and if you know the mufflers currently I have let me know. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, 1969SS540. What flowmaster muffler do you recommend? I am thinking of original 40 series or 50 series. There are few old american cars here and I have not heard them before.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
I love the sound of my Spintech Sportsmans, but I'm not sure that they perform all that well.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Magnaflow's! I run them on my Trailblazer SS with the LS2 and she purr's until you step on it! I'm changing the Hooker Aero Chambers on the Nova to Magnaflow's because the Hooker's kill my ears.:shh::yes:

·
Registered
108 Posts
I am not a big fan of the above Mufflers. they are good mufflers just not for me. I like the old school sounds. Sounds like you like that straight pipe sound like your Harley. What about some Cherry Bombs. Yes Cherry Bombs, not just any old glass packs. Go with as long of ones you can and put a cross over tube in it. They will have a good sound be fairly quite at idle and cruize, but when you jump on it, it will sound good. Just a thought. Ive run them for some time love the sound and you can get them to be real quite and sound great. and they are a good price.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If the engine is generally stock, then a Flowmaster Original 40 or Super 44 with stock/near stock sized exhaust pipes shouldn't be excessively loud, but should give you a nice volume boost. Those are the loudest Flowmasters though, so if you are concerned that they might be too loud, then some quieter options would be a Delta Flow 40 series, Super 40, or 50 series.

There are many other brands of muffler to choose from as well. I personally just prefer the sound of Flowmaster.

Stuff like Magnaflow or Dynomax Ultra-Flo or SuperTurbo would not really be much louder than what you seem to have right now.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am not a big fan of the above Mufflers. they are good mufflers just not for me. I like the old school sounds. Sounds like you like that straight pipe sound like your Harley. What about some Cherry Bombs. Yes Cherry Bombs, not just any old glass packs. Go with as long of ones you can and put a cross over tube in it. They will have a good sound be fairly quite at idle and cruize, but when you jump on it, it will sound good. Just a thought. Ive run them for some time love the sound and you can get them to be real quite and sound great. and they are a good price.
That is another great option. My buddy has this same setup on his '69 Chevelle and honestly, I really thought about running the same thing just based on sound alone.:turn: It sounds killer and old school. Not too loud and not too quiet.

His system: 2.5" tubing, real Cherry Bomb glasspacks - 30" long, H-pipe.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What about cutting the tailpipe sections off and doing turn downs after the mufflers?????

It's free and it'll perk right up in the SOUND dept!!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm running long tube headers to 2.5 in pipes and Hooker Max Flows. If you stay off the throttle, the sound is very full but manageable. And when you stomp on it, the sound really opens up and gives you a very old school roar.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I ran Super 40s and now Large body Magnaflows on mine, the 40s were way louder and a ton of drone driving. The Magnaflows are quiet in comparison, if i could do it over i would have gone with normal sized magnaflows or kept the super 40s

·
Registered
531 Posts
If the engine is generally stock, then a Flowmaster Original 40 or Super 44 with stock/near stock sized exhaust pipes shouldn't be excessively loud, but should give you a nice volume boost. Those are the loudest Flowmasters though, so if you are concerned that they might be too loud, then some quieter options would be a Delta Flow 40 series, Super 40, or 50 series.

There are many other brands of muffler to choose from as well. I personally just prefer the sound of Flowmaster.

Stuff like Magnaflow or Dynomax Ultra-Flo or SuperTurbo would not really be much louder than what you seem to have right now.
Yeah he is right. Flowmasters are loud. Specially super 40. In my opinion you should go with magnaflow.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts