Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
It is highly unlikely that we could offer any accurate wheel lug specifications without any dimensions to reference off of the wheels you intend to install on your 77 Nova. The stock lugs should be 7/16” diameter and 1” long. You’ll need to measure the thickness of the wheel mounting material of your wheels to come up with an idea of how much longer of a wheel lug you’ll need. It would also be helpful to us if you could post up some pictures of the wheel you’re trying to mount as there might be information we could glean that you might not be aware of.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is highly unlikely that we could offer any accurate wheel lug specifications without any dimensions to reference off of the wheels you intend to install on your 77 Nova. The stock lugs should be 7/16” diameter and 1” long. You’ll need to measure the thickness of the wheel mounting material of your wheels to come up with an idea of how much longer of a wheel lug you’ll need. It would also be helpful to us if you could post up some pictures of the wheel you’re trying to mount as there might be information we could glean that you might not be aware of.
I'm fitting a 24inch rim on the nova but wen i go to put the lug nut on its not even reaching the tread

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
You’re going to have to remove the center covers so we can see the center hub of the wheel. Also, show us a picture of the lugs studs you have on your car now.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
You’re going to have to take some measurements of the wheel hub to determine how much of a stud you will need. Those hubs look really thick but the lugnuts will be countersunk into the wheel hub. You might consider going to 1/2” diameter lug studs. Those are available up to 3” length as required for certain classes in drag racing. I don’t think you will need a 3” stud but I don’t know if a 7/16 lug will be available in the length you will need. Also, 1/2” studs are stronger and will handle more load. You might want to contact the wheel manufacturer to see what their recommendations might be for your installation..

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
If you already have 2” long studs on your car now and they don’t reach past the shoulders in the wheel hub you’re going to have to go bigger. You have a really big wheel and tire package you’re going with. This will exert more leverage on the studs. 7/16 are pretty small and going longer will work to a point but the wheels you are going with are probably something I would step up to 1/2” studs for. Are the these hub centric wheels or lug centric..? Do you have hub centric rings to go with teem..?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
They fit
If you already have 2” long studs on your car now and they don’t reach past the shoulders in the wheel hub you’re going to have to go bigger. You have a really big wheel and tire package you’re going with. This will exert more leverage on the studs. 7/16 are pretty small and going longer will work to a point but the wheels you are going with are probably something I would step up to 1/2” studs for. Are the these hub centric wheels or lug centric..? Do you have hub centric rings to go with teem..?
They fit on jus the stud is to small to come out the rim im just tryna find a longer stud to replace with the old

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I didnt use spacers
I wasn’t talking about spacers or adapters. I referring to rings that center the wheels on the hub. Some aftermarket wheels are made hub centric and some are lug centric. Hub centric is a preferred method. Some companies design their wheels to use hub centric rings to accommodate different diameter center hubs. The rings just make the wheel fit the hub perfectly. This greatly reduces the possibility of wheel related vibrations due to not being centered in the wheel hub. Lug centric wheels rely on the lugs to do two jobs, center the wheel and hold the wheel onto the car. The bigger the wheel the bigger the mass at the end of the axle or spindle. If it’s not centered on the hub the result is wheel vibration just like if the wheel isn’t balanced even though it has been balanced.. It’s offset on the hub.. I’m just making this point because your wheels are pretty big and going to 1/2” lugs is just adding some margin of reinforcement to help keep the wheels under the car..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts