Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1991 Corsica with less than 100000 miles. I bought it off my friend with about 60000. It always made a growling noise in the frontend. A couple years ago I replaced the bearings in the hubs but it didn't help. Know the noise is bad. It seems to get worse at speed and it seems to get worse as you drive it. Meaning cold, it doesn't seem nearly as noisy. Is it the CV joints. It doesn't pop going around turns and the noise doesn't quit if you are moving and put it in neutral and coast. How about the bearings in the transaxle? Its an automatic and the trans fluid is OK. But is there a different fluid in the transaxle? How about the bearings in the transaxle? Please help thanks

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Is it tire noise? Try rotating the tires and see if the noise moves with them.

If the hub bearings aren't torqued properly (preloaded) they will still make noise.:yes:
You might check the rear hub bearings as well.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I second the tire rotation

Sounds terrible, like bearings or breaks, but just rotate the tires. The noise is equally annoying on the rear though. My wifes focus did that. The tire looked normal...but something was not right with it. Bought new tires and problem solved.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try rotating the tires. I believe we've put tires on it since I got it, but that was before the noise got really bad. I will try it to see if the problem moves. I don't think it's the brakes.

I'm still curious about the fluid in the transaxle. Is it the trans fluid? When I changed the hubs, if anything I would've overtighten them. I remember that job well.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I will try rotating the tires. I believe we've put tires on it since I got it, but that was before the noise got really bad. I will try it to see if the problem moves. I don't think it's the brakes.

I'm still curious about the fluid in the transaxle. Is it the trans fluid? When I changed the hubs, if anything I would've overtighten them. I remember that job well.
Hopefully not too much.:no: That will distort the bearing and make it howl much the same way.:yes:

Good luck.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tried rotating the tires. Basically no change. Looked around and at the manual. The manual says the transaxle fluid comes from the transmition fluid on the automatic. that eliminates 2 things.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
recheck your front wheel bearings,replace the the whole hub assembly:yes: not just the bearing,the inner hubs can get loose on bearing race causing noise,jack up the car and spin the front wheels .

·
Registered
597 Posts
Is there any play in the bearings? Jack the front of the car up, with the tires off of the ground, grab the tire on the top and bottom and try to move by pushing the top in and bottom out, and bottom in, and top out. If you feel play here, your wheel bearings are probably shot. The CV could have been not tightened enough after the wheel bearing job too, leaving it loose enough for some play, which would ruin the bearing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts