Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PLEASE HELP, I have a 63 wagon with the original 194 6cyl. with a ton of miles, and has BLOW-BY? coming from the front breather. It has a PCV VALVE in back & an old beat up chrome breather in front. I thought I would clean it up by using the GM OIL CAP in front & a NEW PCV VALVE in back. I started the car & after a few min. it started pumping oil out of the dip stick tube. I then thought it was building to much pressure so I went & got a new chrome breather thinking that would solve the problem. Same deal, started the car & after a couple miles started pumping oil from dipstick again. It is almost undrivable because of the smell. good thing for wing windows. Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
try it with just breathers.....even though the pcv valve is new...ive had new ones be faulty right out of the box....check it and make sure its working or buy a new one

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Sounds like the rings are shot and time for a rebuild.

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
try it with just breathers.....even though the pcv valve is new...ive had new ones be faulty right out of the box....check it and make sure its working or buy a new one
I also suspect the PCV.

You know the engine is building up pressure and there are only two sources for the engine to breathe - the PCV or oil filler cap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like the rings are shot and time for a rebuild.
You are right about the rings, Im guessing this 63 came new with a front breather and not just a oil cap? It does have just a small chrome exposed air filter on it. Maybe somehow I can vent it down under the car.

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,637 Posts
Did you replace the hose from the PCV as well? Check to see if it is plugged. Could explain why the new PCV isn't working????

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
The pcv valve should have manifold vacum. With the engine running put you're finger over the end of the pcv valve there should be suction there if not check the hose and the vacum port it's connected to. If that checks out ok do a compression and leak down test. This will tell you how good or bad the condition of the engine is in. RICK

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The pcv valve should have manifold vacum. With the engine running put you're finger over the end of the pcv valve there should be suction there if not check the hose and the vacum port it's connected to. If that checks out ok do a compression and leak down test. This will tell you how good or bad the condition of the engine is in. RICK
Thank Rick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts