Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys might have noticed that in 1966 some turn signal switches are plastic and some are metal. Seems the earlier cars sometimes got the metal signal and the plastic ones were in the later cars.
Thanks to Tom Migut, he is showing us that the turn signal arm hole is very sharp in the corners for the metal versions and the housing for the plastic switches are more rounded in the corners. that means you can tell which is which without having to take the column apart. 20200101_210420679_iOS.jpg 20200101_210424272_iOS.jpg 20200101_210428359_iOS.jpg 20200101_210432339_iOS.jpg The Switches and housing are not interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Always teaching Bill!! Thank you for the info and Tom for telling the difference between the two. I would guess that all 67 are plastic?

Dave
67 Nova Boy

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
The 1967 is all plastic, but there are two different ones - floor shift and non-floor shift. The floor shift ones were red or pink. I always guessed GM made them red / pink to standout indicating to line workers it was a different item. Same switch used in 1968.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
my 66 was built 3rd. wk of feb 66 an it has the white plastic turn switch. but the original column was a power glide tranny shift. now it has a 700 r floor shift an has a smooth column like would be in a 4 speed manual or a floor shifted power glide. so who knows what has been changed inside this column .

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
You guys might have noticed that in 1966 some turn signal switches are plastic and some are metal. Seems the earlier cars sometimes got the metal signal and the plastic ones were in the later cars.
Thanks to Tom Migut, he is showing us that the turn signal arm hole is very sharp in the corners for the metal versions and the housing for the plastic switches are more rounded in the corners. that means you can tell which is which without having to take the column apart. View attachment 397878 View attachment 397880 View attachment 397881 View attachment 397882 The Switches and housing are not interchangeable.
The turn signal cup is also stamped GUIDE for the plastic switch and "B" for the BPC metal switch as seen in 1st photo.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
i had to go out an look at my turn indicator hole where the arm comes out. well here's something different. i have the white plastic turn switch, but the hole were the turn switch arm comes out is rectangle like the hole for the metal turn switch. some thing is different.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had to go out an look at my turn indicator hole where the arm comes out. well here's something different. i have the white plastic turn switch, but the hole were the turn switch arm comes out is rectangle like the hole for the metal turn switch. some thing is different.
One of 2 things maybe. Both holes are rectangle, the difference is the sharpness of the corners. Or, yours has been replace with a plastic aftermarket item.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
i should of said, sharp on the corners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts