Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to use a small amount of plastic, or nylon, fuel line to hook up the steel line from the tank to the fuel injection rail on the LS1. I have the tubing, and the quick connect ends, but can not figure out how to get the ends on the tubing. I have tried boiling the tubing like a few people have said (20 minutes) to do but it does not swell up to allow the end to be slid in. Anyone know the trick to getting this done?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Dorman makes a tool for doing this. Looks allot like a pistol grip wood clamp. Let me know how it goes as I have been considering doing this on a swap I'm doing.

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Burke - I saw that tool on the Dorman website. I know it has got to be expensive so I was hoping to find an alternate method.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
A very small amount of heat from a cigarette lighter is usually enough to get it to slip up on a barbed fitting. I used this method and mine holds 50-60 psi with no problems. Just takes a little practice.

Just to confirm, this is the type of line you're using. Right?

Or, there's this option...

http://www.fuelsender.com/kp1200.html

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
No really!!! Plastic fuel lines. Wow. Now Ive heard it all, I woulda never thunk.. Ok...... Wow... Really, Im I reading this right, fuel, like gasoline. Sometimes I read things wrong.. JR

Ok, I really cant get over this. You are running nylon FUEL line from the tank in the rear to the fuel rail up front. Im totally missing it I know. I get a lil dense or dunce actually sometimes LOL

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the line I am using, not all the way from the tank to the engine, just a short run from the steel line coming form the back of the car to the fuel rail. I may try the lighter method but don't understand how the line away from the end will loosen up.

JRouche - I never would have dreamed it either but this stuff is really tough. Really light too. It will just take a while to learn how to work with it.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
No really!!! Plastic fuel lines. Wow. Now Ive heard it all, I woulda never thunk.. Ok...... Wow... Really, Im I reading this right, fuel, like gasoline. Sometimes I read things wrong.. JR

Ok, I really cant get over this. You are running nylon FUEL line from the tank in the rear to the fuel rail up front. Im totally missing it I know. I get a lil dense or dunce actually sometimes LOL
Yes. Every major automobile manufacturer of planet Earth has been using plastic (actually nylon) fuel line since the mid-eighties. In fact, have you seen what fuel tanks are made of these days?

Oh, and one more thing. I ran nylon fuel line from the fuel tank to the end of the subframe. The rest is steel & rubber line. I have seen OE appications that have nylon from the tank to the fuel rails though. And why not. It will never rust (inside or outside), there is no bending to speak of (or sharp bends), installation time is much quicker, and it's cost effective (even more so if you rob it off a totaled car in the boneyards).

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
JRouche - I never would have dreamed it either but this stuff is really tough. Really light too. It will just take a while to learn how to work with it.
Its amazing the technology advances in plastics. Sounds good, ummm, any reason you didnt wanna go with a braided stainless teflon line. For the weight? And I have no doubt the plastic will hold up to the fuel as designed. Accidental abrasion would be my concern. Oh, and dummy me, I mis read the from the tank STEEL line part. Solly :) JR

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Yes. Every major automobile manufacturer of planet Earth has been using plastic (actually nylon) fuel line since the mid-eighties. In fact, have you seen what fuel tanks are made of these days?

Oh, and one more thing. I ran nylon fuel line from the fuel tank to the end of the subframe. The rest is steel & rubber line. I have seen OE appications that have nylon from the tank to the fuel rails though. And why not. It will never rust (inside or outside), there is no bending to speak of (or sharp bends), installation time is much quicker, and it's cost effective (even more so if you rob it off a totaled car in the boneyards).
Yeah, sounds good, OEM, GM is doing great these days LOL Kidding!!! Im just not used to seeing plastic fuel line I guess, never have. Rubber yes, plastic hard line, I havent. And really, I dont work on cars so thats prolly why.. Personally, for me I like a metal line everywhere except where you have a possibility of flex, then the shortest flex line possible. And for that, on a car that I am re-doing, not OEM, I like a shielded line, and stainless braiding is a decent shield. Now if it was nylon inner core braided line no issues. Although I kinda like teflon. Great heat rating and pretty much impervious to many chemicals. JR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts