Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm finally getting around to starting the restoration on my 63 SS convertible. Has anyone ever seen one like this? The only accessory code on the tag is 3X. SS option. that's it, nothing else. It is a 3 speed column shift and someone installed a 4 speed at some point. I was going to restomod this car until I discovered the casting date on the 194s block is F293 .June 29 1963. That is the day I was born. Ive since found the correct Saginaw 3 speed and column shift parts that were missing and have decided to restore this car back to factory original condition. It is originally black with black vinyl buckets . I know to many, it is probably a boring car in stock condition but I think the simplicity of it will be kind of cool and out of the ordinary. It is pretty solid as it came out of Eastern Oregon originally, Ive installed a new trunk pan and it will need lower quarters and a little work to the front floors. The rear floors , seat area and most of the underside still have the factory red oxide primer. The inner rockers (clamshells) are solid as well. I will be starting a build thread soon.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The 3 speed in your 63 SS was the standard transmission. Cost extra for the automatic but it would have had a floor shifter and a console with bucket seats. I would love to have a 63 SS convertible triple black like your car.

I think originality is cool. I have a survivor 62 hardtop with the 194 and a powerglide. I love to drive this car because it makes me feel 16 years old again when I learned to drive in my 62 4 door nova with the 194 and 3 on the tree. I say put it back to original and enjoy the car for the time machine that it is. Very cool that you and the motor are brothers from different mothers:yes:

·
14,126 Posts
Not disputing your claim that you have a bare bones '63 SS convertible, but remember that the cowl tag only displays options installed by Fisher Body, or options requiring prep work by Fisher Body (drilled holes for antenna, etc.). Power steering, power brakes, bumper guards, whitewall tires, heavy duty suspensions and clutches, etc., don't appear on the cowl tag.

A few years ago I saw a '63 SS convertible that probably was much like yours....3 on the tree, no padded dash, no tinted windows, no seat belts, no radio, no outside mirrors, and black wall tires. My '63 SS convertible went to the other extreme...PS, PB, PG, radio, a/c, comfort and convenience pkg. padded dash, tinted glass, bumper guards, seat belts and white walls. I guess they eventually ran out of budget, because it had a manual top.

Bob

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 3 speed in your 63 SS was the standard transmission. Cost extra for the automatic but it would have had a floor shifter and a console with bucket seats. I would love to have a 63 SS convertible triple black like your car.

I think originality is cool. I have a survivor 62 hardtop with the 194 and a powerglide. I love to drive this car because it makes me feel 16 years old again when I learned to drive in my 62 4 door nova with the 194 and 3 on the tree. I say put it back to original and enjoy the car for the time machine that it is. Very cool that you and the motor are brothers from different mothers:yes:
Thanks Buccflyer, yup , the powerglide would have been coded on the cowl tag. The only thing I'm not sure about is the fact that it still has the floor hump and factory cutout as if it would have had the powerglide. I would think the cars not slated for the floor shift powerglide would have had the tunnel uncut just like the column shift powerglide cars. The previous owner had a 4 speed in it but I don't think he installed the floor hump as it looks exactly like the factory did it and he wasn't known for doing that.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not disputing your claim that you have a bare bones '63 SS convertible, but remember that the cowl tag only displays options installed by Fisher Body, or options requiring prep work by Fisher Body (drilled holes for antenna, etc.). Power steering, power brakes, bumper guards, whitewall tires, heavy duty suspensions and clutches, etc., don't appear on the cowl tag.

A few years ago I saw a '63 SS convertible that probably was much like yours....3 on the tree, no padded dash, no tinted windows, no seat belts, no radio, no outside mirrors, and black wall tires. My '63 SS convertible went to the other extreme...PS, PB, PG, radio, a/c, comfort and convenience pkg. padded dash, tinted glass, bumper guards, seat belts and white walls. I guess they eventually ran out of budget, because it had a manual top.

Bob
Thanks Bob. That's true, I may install some of the options not coded on the tag. I do wish it had been optioned with padded dash. Someone installed it later. I may go with it again. The holes are already there.

·
14,126 Posts
Thanks Bob. That's true, I may install some of the options not coded on the tag. I do wish it had been optioned with padded dash. Someone installed it later. I may go with it again. The holes are already there.
Yeah, you don't see many '63 SS convertibles without a padded dash. As for your note to buccfler, the tunnel on a 3 speed standard SS would not have had a hump. Probably just a good install by the guy who did the 4 speed.

Bob

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, you don't see many '63 SS convertibles without a padded dash. As for your note to buccfler, the tunnel on a 3 speed standard SS would not have had a hump. Probably just a good install by the guy who did the 4 speed.

Bob
Yeah my guess is he found the hump from another SS in the bone yard and cut out the tunnel to the factory pattern. I will likely weld in a new section since the only rust in the floor of the car is on the front on both sides of the tunnel. I can replace the missing section and section in the two floor sections in one piece.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sounds like a nice convertible to start with. where are you located in Washington?? I am in north Tacoma with a plain Jane 63 hardtop.
I'm in Bellevue, work in Renton. Ive seen your car at the Goodguys in Puyallup and I think at a show in Covington. I had my 63 hardtop at a couple of the shows at the Les Schwaab in Covington a few times years ago. Its also a 400 hardtop, silver blue (912) Ive owned it since 82.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased this car after giving up trying to buy the white one that was mentioned here on the ebay thread just before Christmas. (rained on 63 SS) I was the one who tried to buy that car for years before the owner moved it and let it sit outside for 15 years in our nice wet NW climate. At that time, that car was more solid than mine. Not the case anymore. Its a shame but it is what it is. It is one of 5 SS convertibles that I knew of that I was chasing around trying to get in the Seattle area in the late 80s and 90s. Not too many of them around here. Ended up with a 1957 Ford Skyliner that I started to restore and have since lost interest in. It will be sold and the proceeds used for the convertible instead.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Rag Top

I'm in Bellevue, work in Renton. Ive seen your car at the Goodguys in Puyallup and I think at a show in Covington. I had my 63 hardtop at a couple of the shows at the Les Schwaab in Covington a few times years ago. Its also a 400 hardtop, silver blue (912) Ive owned it since 82.
Nice, most likely I will see you out and about. it is been years since I have been to the Covington show. I was just up in Issaquah for the Muscle Car Meet at the XXX. post up some pictures when you can. Charlie p.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice, most likely I will see you out and about. it is been years since I have been to the Covington show. I was just up in Issaquah for the Muscle Car Meet at the XXX. post up some pictures when you can. Charlie p.
Yeah I live right off of I-90 in Eastgate so XXX is one of my favorite car show destinations being so close.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the three on the tree, as most were power glides with consoles
Me too actually, I had a 64 Pontiac Tempest back in the day with a 215 and a 3 on the tree and I miss that car so it will bring back some memories there. Ive been able to find all the linkage , arms bushings, etc. NOS so I can build it back to original nice and tight.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
the car that won dec ROTM is a 63 SS convert painted black.

·
Super Moderator
4,088 Posts
Nothing boring about that car to me. Black/black and 3-speed is right in my wheelhouse, and I for one am glad you are thinking about returning it to original.

I briefly owned a '63 convertible that was that way: NO options, 400 series, and really no options to speak of except under dash convenience lights and a side mirror. Those cars must be much more uncommon.

·
14,126 Posts
I don't think the average 2nd year Chevy II buyer could adjust their thinking to the 1963 SS. The promotional hype about the Chevy II made them believe they were inexpensive economy cars - 4 doors, 3 on the tree, no radio and no power anything. Sedans and wagons made up 70% of the 1963 Chevy II production. I believe the '63 SS didn't have a V/8 option because Chevrolet didn't want to blow the economy car image out of the water in the car's second year; ease the buyers into it. Didn't take long. By the 5th year the 350 HP L79 was available in any Chevy II model. Talk to any of the people still around who sold Chevrolets in 1966 and they'll tell you the Chevy II L79 was a tough sell. Mine sat at the dealership for almost a year, selling at a $500 discount after the '67 models came out. I'm always amazed at how many low option, 3 speed standard transmission '63 Nova Super Sports are out there.

Bob

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ive often wondered who the original buyer of a car like this may have been. Maybe a school teacher who wanted a somewhat sporty car but no unnecessary frills and decent economy? Maybe a rental car originally? Hard to say. Its the 1st 3 on the tree SS Ive seen in person around here. Seems like most were powerglides.

·
14,126 Posts
Ive often wondered who the original buyer of a car like this may have been. Maybe a school teacher who wanted a somewhat sporty car but no unnecessary frills and decent economy? Maybe a rental car originally? Hard to say. Its the 1st 3 on the tree SS Ive seen in person around here. Seems like most were powerglides.
You're dead on! A school teacher bought my '63 SS convertible brand new at Stoddard-Fink Chevrolet in Albany, Oregon. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, she didn't miss many options, except for a power top.

Bob

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You're dead on! A school teacher bought my '63 SS convertible brand new at Stoddard-Fink Chevrolet in Albany, Oregon. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, she didn't miss many options, except for a power top.

Bob
I was in grade school in the late 60s and I remember the gym teacher had a 64-65 falcon 2 door panel wagon white in color. Several of my teachers had 63-65 dodge darts, which stood out to me because my Mom drove a 64 dart. It seems like a lot of the teachers drove the smaller intermediates. I do remember a math teacher with a 57 Belair too, but I don't remember too many driving 409 Impalas or big block mopars. I remember being fascinated when we would travel and I would see 59 Impalas , 57 Fords, and all of the cool cars that were still on the road at the time. used to ride around in our neighbors 59 ElCamino. (love those still) and our other neighbors 1960 Dodge wagon. The dash on that Dodge looked like something from a space ship to me at the time. Probably why I have such a love for classic American cars to this day.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts