Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening! Hoping some guru's here can lend some advice for my pitman arm replacement.

Borrowed my cousin's Snap On adjustable puller. Just doesn't want to seem to keep the arms closed even when I tighten up the center shaft.

Went to Autozone to rent one and ended up buying an $18 dollar slide on type with the fixed jaws. Figured it couldn't hurt to have one around. Come back home and it's just a hair narrow at the jaws to slide over the shaft. So I grind down just a little and it fits into place. Slowly start to tighten to extract the arm and the upper jaws are starting to bend. I do not like forcing things so I stopped. Prior to this I tried the impact though I have a small cheap compressor and it is not that powerful.

PB blasted the crap out of it. What would you do next?

Thanks all!
Jay
tried the

·
Registered
532 Posts
With full tension applied to the puller center screw, then smack the center screw head hard directly in line with the screw like it was a big nail head, to shock the stuck arm. Might have to rap it several times with a 3 to 5 lb hammer/mini sledge.
The slide on puller I last used was fully enclosed around one half, making it a bunch stronger. It was either Kent-Moore or KD Tools, I don't remember which.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
With full tension applied to the puller center screw, then smack the center screw head hard directly in line with the screw like it was a big nail head, to shock the stuck arm. Might have to rap it several times with a 3 to 5 lb hammer/mini sledge.
The slide on puller I last used was fully enclosed around one half, making it a bunch stronger. It was either Kent-Moore or KD Tools, I don't remember which.
I will give this a try tomorrow. Will also see what type of loaner tool I can get, perhaps something more heavy duty.

If I smack up hard on the puller screw, couldn't that potentially cause damage to the steering box or at least the shaft? Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
The Snapon one looks like it was ground on and that may have an angle on the end causing the spreading. The other one, a cheap tool, nice try. For pitman arms I put good strong tension on the puller (once you have one that stands up) and then rap with a small to medium hammer on the side of the pitman arm at the joint. Rap a few times, tighten, rap some more, tighten and it came off in my experience.

·
Registered
1970 2-Door Barn Find
55 Posts
The Snapon one looks like it was ground on and that may have an angle on the end causing the spreading. The other one, a cheap tool, nice try. For pitman arms I put good strong tension on the puller (once you have one that stands up) and then rap with a small to medium hammer on the side of the pitman arm at the joint. Rap a few times, tighten, rap some more, tighten and it came off in my experience.
One added tip: If you don't make any progress with a medium hammer, switch to the biggest hammer that you can swing into that area. BUT... Get a second hammer, at least as large as the first if not larger, and hold it against the pitman on the opposite side of the area where you are going to pound. When you hit the pitman arm, the energy will go thru the pitman and make the second hammer fly off, so be ready for it. But this will prevent you from damaging the steering box when you hit the pitman really hard. You will have to position the puller so you have areas for both of the hammers.

BTW... Why are you removing the pitman arm in the first place?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One added tip: If you don't make any progress with a medium hammer, switch to the biggest hammer that you can swing into that area. BUT... Get a second hammer, at least as large as the first if not larger, and hold it against the pitman on the opposite side of the area where you are going to pound. When you hit the pitman arm, the energy will go thru the pitman and make the second hammer fly off, so be ready for it. But this will prevent you from damaging the steering box when you hit the pitman really hard. You will have to position the puller so you have areas for both of the hammers.

BTW... Why are you removing the pitman arm in the first place?
Pitman arm shaft at end where it bolts to linkage is very loose. I am trying to tighten up my steering a bit. Pitman arm and steering box are prob the only original components I haven't checked or replaced.

·
Super Moderator
3,871 Posts
Oooh, gotta be careful with those hammer shots, especially with the sector shaft still in the steering box. Those can be some soft bushings, and any play you take up with the new pitman can be replaced with more slop in the sector bushings. Has anyone used heat to their advantage? If I have to smack it, I try to get some weight on the other side, and not smack too hard.

·
Registered
1970 2-Door Barn Find
55 Posts
Pitman arm shaft at end where it bolts to linkage is very loose. I am trying to tighten up my steering a bit. Pitman arm and steering box are prob the only original components I haven't checked or replaced.
Well, if you are going to replace the steering box, consider just buying a new pitman arm. You can take the box and arm off together and just replace both. If you are turning the box in for the core charge, just leave the old pitman arm on it. The store will still take it. Sometimes its just not worth the headache of getting the old one off. Been there... Done that. ;)

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,743 Posts
OK . . . (hope this
is not too late . . . . . )

PUT THE "SHAFT NUT" back on the shaft : before you mess-up those threads.

Using any type of puller . . . and screwing that puller (threaded shaft) up against the 'sector shaft COULD'
"mush-room those threads . . . . . . thus, not letting you get that NUT , too screw back on .
(if you are replacing the str. box . . . . u'r ok . . . . but you can "ruin those threads , real easy .

Just make the shaft "nut flush" with the end of that sector shaft.

and, generally = put the 'puller pressure' on the end . . . . and use about a 4lb (or what you may have) ,
(like bigger - - not smaller)
and hit the back-side of the arm (the 'rounded end , of the pitman arm) .
and, as said above ; hit - it ; tighten the puller ; and "repeat" .

then , 'never-seez' . . . . . is your friend .

. . . jim

Reactions: walkerjay

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK . . . (hope this
is not too late . . . . . )

PUT THE "SHAFT NUT" back on the shaft : before you mess-up those threads.

Using any type of puller . . . and screwing that puller (threaded shaft) up against the 'sector shaft COULD'
"mush-room those threads . . . . . . thus, not letting you get that NUT , too screw back on .
(if you are replacing the str. box . . . . u'r ok . . . . but you can "ruin those threads , real easy .

Just make the shaft "nut flush" with the end of that sector shaft.

and, generally = put the 'puller pressure' on the end . . . . and use about a 4lb (or what you may have) ,
(like bigger - - not smaller)
and hit the back-side of the arm (the 'rounded end , of the pitman arm) .
and, as said above ; hit - it ; tighten the puller ; and "repeat" .

then , 'never-seez' . . . . . is your friend .

. . . jim
Not too late! I've been letting the penetrating oil (hopefully) do it's thing. Appreciate the descriptive description. Threads are untouched and I will heed your advice, thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts