Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I enjoy this sight lots of good info. I bought a632dr. sedan v/8 auto 5bolt drum brakes. The question I see the pitman arm and idler arm rubbing the tie rod adjustment sleeves. Not knowing anything about the history of this car I new I was going to rebuild entire front suspension hoping I would find something wrong and be able to correct the problem. No luck still rubbing I need some ideas please.
20200117_181557 (2).jpg

·
Vendor
1,377 Posts
Definitely need more pics. My guess is the incorrect steering knuckle arms are being used altering the tie rod attachment angle. The 4 and 5 lug ones were different. GM often stamped numbers on them in between the bolts. 4-lug arms ends in 0107 | 0108 and 5-lug 7925 | 7926.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the response. I had not thought about steering arms only thing that was not changedwas hoping that was my problem but I found the casting #"s to be correct. Since all parts has been replaced I wonder if I have a caster problem. Ican set camber and toe pretty close with a string and level to get me to a alignment shop but caster is more difficult when replacing strut rod bushings I used the settings from orginal bushings for a starting point. Looking at side views of other 1st gen. I see the lower edge of the front fender is closer to the tire than what mine are. Maybe I need to add alittle more caster to move the front wheels aheadto gain clearance at the tie rod sleeves. Wondering how much clearance there should be between pitman arm and tie rod adjustment sleeve with proper alignment specs Thanks
20200119_123857 (1).jpg
DSCF0485.JPG

·
Vendor
1,377 Posts
Correct, the wheel tends to sit further forward in this period with a stock suspension. It is not perfectly centered in the wheel well.

One complete long shot idea here... hard to tell from the pics, but the body trim with the bright drip rail moulding looks like 1962 300 Series sedan. If you can post a pic of the idler arm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the slow response been very cold and icy here also lazy. Here is a picture of the idler arm and pitman arm.I really apprecate your help. Guess I welladd about 1/8" pos.caster and call it good till spring then get a alignment.
DSCF0499.JPG
Moving onto a Vintage air install. Thanks again

·
Vendor
1,377 Posts
Correct idler arm. It is a power steering one, so probably a later aftermarket replacement, but that should not matter. Where exactly is it rubbing? On the bolts of the adjuster sleeves or the sleeves themselves?

Another possible cause is if the car has been lowered with the springs. That can flatten out some of those angles and bring the parts closer together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts