Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I put my piston stop in # 1 cylinder, not knowing how far I need to thread the stop in, I started with it in about a 1/4 of the length, slowly cranked the motor by hand with breaker bar, dist cap off watching rotar come up to plug # 1. Piston did not stop against stop. Adjusted so threaded stop half way exteded, repeated...again, piston did not stop. Extended stop full lenght, repeated, again piston did not stop.

What the ???

Using this piston stop

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Are they angle plug heads? I've never used one of those, but I wonder if it just doesn't have enough length to make contact?

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
That is one of those China made Pro Form stops.
Friend had the same problem. except he had to pull the head to get the piece that broke off out of the engine!

the metal is very soft, the rod piston turning has so much leverage you don't even feel the stop.

JUNK!

Sorry.

Al

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Ahh, low compression engine, maybe, can they be that far down ( piston top) from the head?? Dunno. JR

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the metal is very soft, the rod piston turning has so much leverage you don't even feel the stop.

JUNK!

Sorry.

Al
Checked on Summit, I see most of them are pretty cheap. $ 8 - $ 12, with the exception of this one...
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...&N=700+4294855958+4294855428+115&autoview=sku which is labled Mopar Performance :eek: at $28.69, I guess I could just use a decent bolt to thread throught the stop, just concerned over knicking the piston with a hard steel

·
Premium Member
801 Posts
Did you pull the stop out to see if it was bent? I used one once and bent it :D It helps alot to pull the rest of the plugs so you can feel it stop so you dont keep going.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts