Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know of a website showing which way to clock the rings on pistons? I have been looking and have come up with nothing.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
I always put the oil ring scrapers gaps at 180° of each other facing the pin.

the compression ring gaps at 180° of each other facing the skirt.

Just me.
Al

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Al where do you put the tension oil ring in relation to the two oil rings themselves?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
always good to have a shop manual or one those "how to rebuild/hot rod your small block/big block chevy" books too.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah well it isn't on the sheet that came with the rings. Good try though. The Haynes manual that I have kind of skip this step also.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Hello,

Except in some special applications I usually put the oil ring expander gap in line with the pin bore, and then stagger the rail gaps in opposite directions.

On the second ring I generally put the gap in line with pin 180 degrees to the oil ring, and the top ring gap 180 degrees to second, again in line with the pin bore.

The reason I generally line the gap with pin is that it seems there would probably be less effect of piston rock at that position.

It really isnt a big concern of mine as unless the rings a locked somehow, it seems they all move.

In reality Im not to sure it would make a lot of difference if you had the gaps lined up, although I wouldnt really want that.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
I do the same as stock Z/28, I have to look in my notes from when I went thru school but I was told and I could be wrong now to never put the ring gaps on the skirt side or the thrust side? again I have to research my notes to see why that was bad.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Umm, speed-pro gives you the line up. Dont most ring suppliers??? Mine were old school file fit but still?? I imagine the rings came with a sheet no?? Didja loose the sheet?? JR

1 - 15 of 15 Posts