Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac42/GenuineSS/1975 Nova SS/?action=view&current=101_1276.jpg

http://s884.photobucket.com/albums/ac42/GenuineSS/1975 Nova SS/?action=view&current=101_0997.jpg

Looking for some opinions from fellow Nova owners. I am really happy with the original owner 1975 Nova SS that I picked up this past summer, but I'm not not sure about the 1980's custom pinstriping and two-toned wheels. The lower white stripe and NOVA SS decals were formerly white against the orange body, but the original owner thought there was too much contrast and went with a beige color for everything.

So, is it cheesey this way? Or is it decade appropriate and fine for the car show scene.

Same for the wheels- cheesey? If you think so, what would look good here in a 15 inch rim?

Thanks, and please be honest!

·
Registered
821 Posts
The striping is a bit much, but keep in mind that you will have a very hard time removing it without there being a "ghost" shadow left behind, so you may have to resort to painting the whole car to get rid of them - be careful on what you decide! You said to be honest:), the wheels have GOT to go, they were cheap and weak in the 80's and don't look good at all these days, but there are thankfully lots of alternatives out there today - it's all about what look you want and how much you want to spend, but don't go CHEAP on your wheel selection; it should be one of the most expensive purchases you make for the car. Good luck!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
The stripe doesn't look too bad. like said already, I think it would look worse if you removed it. The wheels on the other hand are dreadful. Car looks raised. Maybe its just the wheel tire combo. Wheels and tires can either make or break a car. Other wheel options are numerous. Maybe some older centerlines and BFG's with raised white letters to go with the pinstripes?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Do you like it? Thats what it really comes down to.

Imo- the stripe on the side looks good, the design thing on the upper qtr panel -i dont like...

The wheels gotta go! check on here and see what sizes others are running that look good- it looks to me like there is too tall a front tire or somthing there....

·
Registered
821 Posts
Forgot to mention, there is usually something in the chemical makeup of striping paint that will eat into the underlying paint, causing a slight "sag" as well - hate to say it, but I've seen many cars with fresh paint over old pinstriping jobs where there is a "ghost" image of the old stripes, even after they were sanded off before a repaint! Have a quality primer/sealer applied if you decide on a new paint job. I'm trying to think of a wheel idea that would work with the existing pinstripes so you can avoid that whole "removing the pinstripe" mess, because, while they're not ideal, you could probably make the striping work with the right wheel/tire combination. Since it's a 70's car with a 70's style stripe job, you might look into the re-release the Cragar SS wheel in 17" - 20" sizes, a period look, but with a modern twist. Sorry, but I might have to disagree on the white letter tires though; already a busy, dated looking paint scheme - the idea should be to tone down or enhance, not accentuate, the issue of the striping! A healthy lowering ALWAYS gives any car the "cool factor", so you really need to do that, especially if the stripes remain! Oh, and can we lose the mudflaps?:) Overall all, though, I like your car a lot, the colors are nice and it's really growing on me. Keep us posted!

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
The pin stripes are not bad , but something I would do Like already mentioned it would most likely turn out worse trying to remove them.

As for the wheels... Oh boy they gotta go. Over all the call is nice just junk the wheels.

There plenty of pics you can find here to get an idea of what you like.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK- Wheels will go, but what now?

Phew- I thought I was alone in this one. THE WHEELS WILL GO!

Pinstriping will stay for now, since paint is still very nice Imron Persimmon Metallic and removal will probably ruin it.

OK- fresh rubber is Kelly Charger 255 55 R15 on rear, 215 60 R15 on front.

So, what wheels do I buy, and from where?

Would love stock 2nd version Rallye in 15 inch size, but should I buy repros?

How about good ol Cragar S/S? But are they made in China now?

Send some sample pics if you guys have 'em.

Thanks!

·
Registered
821 Posts
Phew- I thought I was alone in this one. THE WHEELS WILL GO!

Pinstriping will stay for now, since paint is still very nice Imron Persimmon Metallic and removal will probably ruin it.

OK- fresh rubber is Kelly Charger 255 55 R15 on rear, 215 60 R15 on front.

So, what wheels do I buy, and from where?

Would love stock 2nd version Rallye in 15 inch size, but should I buy repros?

How about good ol Cragar S/S? But are they made in China now?

Send some sample pics if you guys have 'em.

Thanks!
Sounds like you're staying with the 15s, but I would avoid a "stock" type wheel or rallye - since you have the striping going on, you need something more "custom" or "hot rod" to compliment that (it's weird having a totally stock theme car, including wheels, that has a custom paint job of some sort - it's like wearing sneakers with a tuxedo on, you know what I mean?). The Cragars are not bad, but in a 15", tend to look a little lost on a later model car (I love them on the right 60's/early 70's car though) - that was why I suggested the 17-20 variety, it gives it more punch on a late model. If you're going with 15s, I would look at traditional American Racing or Halibrand wheels, either 5 spoke or "Sprint"/Kidney Bean style, and go with full polish/chrome (grey would not look good with your paint scheme IMO). I tend to avoid 15" wheels in 2 piece designs, especially the Torque Thrust IIs, they don't have the same "quality" look as a one piece design. Can't emphasize this enough, you need to lower that thing with the new wheels to bring the look home, and do get rid of those mudflaps:). Keep us posted, I am loving the idea of this car getting a nice makeover, it's fun to see that. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well Put

Well put gentlemen, especially Siva64- do you happen to write for a living?

If I had my choice (and lots of ****$) I'd return the car to factory appearance, but that's not gonna happen right now because the repaint to eliminate those pinstripes would cost too much. Most friends and family members actually like the car the way it is, but I had a feeling that real Nova guys would see it differently (like me).

Mudflaps will go this weekend, and I'll let as much air out of the shocks as I can without rubbing those meaty tires.

I'm gonna try to find the right wheels- will avoid the stockers like Siva64 recommended, but may still try a 15 inch Cragar S/S.

By the way, what is the easiest way to scroll through pictures on this site? Is there a main page or section where you view lots of cars quickly by year?

Thanks again,

Dean

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Like the others said paint and stripes are fine but the wheels gotta go maybe go with some Torqe Thrust or Crager SS and White Letter tires.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Definitely focus on the wheels and get those changed out to something else. The pinstriping isnt too bad and I would just leave it until you are at the point you want to repaint the entire car anyways. If you have some cash you can spend now though I would absolutely change out the wheels

·
Premium Member
6,365 Posts
Whatever wheels you end up with, make sure you get a properly backspaced wheel. That way you can get rid of the air shocks all together and not have to worry about the tires rubbing.

IIRC, for the rear an 8" wide wheel with 5" of backspacing should get the job done, but make sure to double check measurements before spending your hard earned money on wheels that look good but don't fit right.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I would seriously look at a set of American Racing Torque Thrust "Originals" (called TTOs if you shop for them), or the new "T-70s" (maybe even a better choice for your car) - especially if you like the look of the Cragar - go for full polished and maybe use a 15x6 front and 15x7 rear. The money you are saving on not repainting the car should be invested in a wheel with a little more attitude, JMO. But good luck, sounds like you are on your way, keep us posted with pics!!!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Also agree with comments. Especially the American Racing Torque Thrust "Originals". You need a nice wheel, that isn't outdated to draw the eye away from the pinstriping.

Here's an idea, but I'd wait for comments from the paint gurus about this.

If your paint can stand a little cut and buff, what if you sanded the pinstripes down as flat as possible without cutting two much into the base color, then have someone re-pinstripe over the originals with a color that's only a few shades off the body color?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Also agree with comments. Especially the American Racing Torque Thrust "Originals". You need a nice wheel, that isn't outdated to draw the eye away from the pinstriping.

Here's an idea, but I'd wait for comments from the paint gurus about this.

If your paint can stand a little cut and buff, what if you sanded the pinstripes down as flat as possible without cutting two much into the base color, then have someone re-pinstripe over the originals with a color that's only a few shades off the body color?
That's actually a really good idea in terms of the rub out and re-stripe, but I would only recommend it if he has a friend(s) who can do the work for a 12-pack:devil: - I'm thinking a pro color sand and rub out, and a re-stripe job could run upwards of $750+ (for everything) - that would be getting into my repaint budget at that stage, but new, more subtle colors over the existing stripes are a great idea!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

OK- You guys spoke and I listened. Cragar S/S chrome wheels go on Monday. I HAD to stick with the old school looks of the S/S even the TT's were nice as well.

Mudflaps have been removed and it looks better already. If the backspace works out, I will lower the rear a bit as well.

Also gonna look to move the tailpipes from the rear to behind the tires for a more classic look.

Great idea on the pinstripes, but I may have to hold off on that for a little while.

Thanks- I'll post pictures next week when the rims are installed.

·
Registered
821 Posts
OK- You guys spoke and I listened. Cragar S/S chrome wheels go on Monday. I HAD to stick with the old school looks of the S/S even the TT's were nice as well.

Mudflaps have been removed and it looks better already. If the backspace works out, I will lower the rear a bit as well.

Also gonna look to move the tailpipes from the rear to behind the tires for a more classic look.

Great idea on the pinstripes, but I may have to hold off on that for a little while.

Thanks- I'll post pictures next week when the rims are installed.
Great news! I would still recommend an all around 2" lowering (including the front) to complement the new rims and to give the car more "impact", you want a little attitude to offset those stripes! Can I still give you my 2 cents and say hold off on that exhaust change? I'm from the school that exhaust should be heard but not seen;), I think if you route a "cutesy" side exit exhaust of any kind, you're back to the clumsy "add-on" look that you're already fighting with the stripes. Work in the direction of keeping this car clean, with a less is more mentality and it will all definitely work. Can't wait to see new pics, good luck!!
p.s. - be sure you get in there and paint detail your wheel wells and brakes with some fresh black paint before mounting those new rims, it shows behind the wheels on Cragars and makes a huge difference - and don't run white letters on the tires, again, keep it clean looking!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts