Chevy Nova Forum banner

What do you think?

• Yes, great idea! Be part of history!

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • NO, stupid idea, not what true drag racing is!

Votes: 27 64.3%
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They have announced they will run us 4 lanes racing at Zmax.

I am having a hard time with this.
Please way in your thoughts!
we only get 2 passes for Time trails but use 4 lanes.

http://automotive.speedtv.com/articl...drag-race//P1/

They also let another 80 cars in from private invites.

So goes the grass roots of even competition!

Al

·
Registered
509 Posts
Dude, if you want true drag racing its NOT at Pinks.:no:
Remember, it a TV filming FIRST and a race (kinda) second.:turn:

The reason I voted YES, maybe they will NOT send cars only 10 seconds apart like they at Atlanta. No, joke cars were arm dropped before the previous pair had completed thier pass.:eek:

Go and have FUN. Do not think of as a RACE or you will hated it.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You make a great point!

Al

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Al, Granny is absolutely right :yes:. Don't think of it as a drag race, think of it as a TV event. If you make it to the 16, you will have to ignore all the hype and really focus on driving. How many times have you seen drivers make stupid mistakes during eliminations? At any rate, have fun. I am looking to forward to seeing your car run :yes:.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
if you want true drag racing like it was back in the day, go to an outlaw track..

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
how're they going to run four lanes? two strips side by side? 4 cars in two lanes? sounds dangerous (and retarded....)

if you want true drag racing like it was back in the day, go to an outlaw track..
i wanna go! any nearby? i feel like there's one in missouri....that's close enough for me.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
how're they going to run four lanes? two strips side by side? 4 cars in two lanes? sounds dangerous (and retarded....)

i wanna go! any nearby? i feel like there's one in missouri....that's close enough for me.

the close one to me is in humbolt, iowa.. very old school track!! i would say about 1 1/2 hr from ames..

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I have to race there April 18th which is the week before pinks. Several friends were there the other day running 4 wide a couple passes doing a TV media thing or something. I think it should be fine as long as they can keep the lanes equal because it is not a bracket race anyways. Tony Brown, the PTRA promoter, told me they have been dragging and spraying all 4 lanes for a couple weeks now. The reason they had to let the extra cars in was because they screwed up. Several of the extra entries are guys I race with in PTRA. Their entries were in first and confirmed but then somehow they were excluded. the only way to make it right was add entries and with 4 lanes running what would the extra cars do? Sure not hold up the event.......LOL. RM

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
the close one to me is in humbolt, iowa.. very old school track!! i would say about 1 1/2 hr from ames..
humboldt is outlaw? i've been wanting to hit them up for a while. their website hasn't been updated in years and i can't ever find out when they're racing.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
humboldt is outlaw? i've been wanting to hit them up for a while. their website hasn't been updated in years and i can't ever find out when they're racing.

they are an outlaw track in the meaning they make there own rules.. its a 1/8mile track,bracket racing and grudge races. the facility is the same as it was back in the 70's. you can get within feet of the burnout box and the tree. i really like the environment of the place, very laid back great people that own it and run it. go to the website and get there phone number and call shirley. she will give you the dates for the season.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
We have some outlaw tracks here. One thing to be concerned about is emergency help and protection. They often have no insurance to speak of and no emergency coverage like fire protection and a group to save your butt if you wreck. Some don't even have an ambulance on site or a fire extingusher. All IHRA and NHRA tracks have to have a certain minimal amount of emergency service.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
We have some outlaw tracks here. One thing to be concerned about is emergency help and protection. They often have no insurance to speak of and no emergency coverage like fire protection and a group to save your butt if you wreck. Some don't even have an ambulance on site or a fire extingusher. All IHRA and NHRA tracks have to have a certain minimal amount of emergency service.

yup thats how the track i go to is. your safety is in YOUR hands.. when you come in the gate you sign a form that says just that. the meat wagon is about 8 min out so your safety and how safe your car is all up to you...

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
how far out ,,

how far out in front will that dude have to stand to do the arm drop thing , for eveerybody to be able to see it in 4 lanes ??? I wouldn't wanna be standing out that far , you can step away from a car thats not going too fast , farther out ya go ,,, but hey i'd say he gets paid good ,,,

I heard there used to be a couple 4 lane tracks back in the day ,,,, might help time trials speed up ,,,

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
they have a hard enough time trying to decide if a car jumped the start now......add in 2 more cars, and you're asking for a whole lot more delays and confusion!!!!!

·
Registered
509 Posts
No way in hell are they gonna arm drop all four lanes!! Are they??!!:confused:
With that group of noodle heads I guess anything is possible.:D I think they will use the four lanes for the time runs and be ahead on time and then arm drop two at a time. IMO

·
Registered
443 Posts
Go into it with an open mind Al and have fun. You'll be part of 'new' history with the four lanes. I cant see how four lanes would hurt time runs. It takes a while to run through 400 cars and not only will the extra lanes speed that up but it will give them options if a black buick pukes oil from the stARTING LINE ALL THE WAY TO THE INFINEON TURN OFF ROAD:mad:

whew, lost it there for a minute.

They said on speed they were going to run 32 cars to get to eight. One thing should be kept in mind, like when riding dirt bikes, YOU GO WHERE YOU LOOK!!! If you're staring at a rock coming up you will hit it! I hope the guys in the outer lanes dont steer toward the center sub consciously. then over correct!

Im sure it will be fun and cant wait to hear about it, good luck Al. GET ON TV!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts