Chevy Nova Forum banner

Pinion snubber

7K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  bowtie0069 
#1 ·
Any suggestions on where to find an adjustable snubber for a 70 Nova? I have searched with no luck. I am thinking I may have to fab one up. Thanks.

#3 ·
Well, heres what I have. I installed new 4 leafs, new bushings, new u-bolts and all hardware. New gas shocks. When it hooks up, the axel housing is rotating enough to put a small dent in the shock tube. The spring perchs are weldel to the housing, so they can't be moving. The only thing i can see is the whole housing is rotateing enough to hit the shock. I used a cut off wheel and trimmed about 1/4" from the shock mount. I am thinking if I can limit the rotation with a snubber, it will be more secure. Mabey I don't have a clue, but that is what I can come up with. Do mopars have an adjustable snubber?

#4 ·
If you want to change your pinion angle they make little wedge blocks you can put in to change it. I think they go any were from 1 degree to like 5 degrees but you can stack them for more. That might solve your problem! Also going with something like traction bars and such should help reduce the rear axle rotation also. Another system out their is the caltracs. And last but not least I saw plans for a poor mans version of caltracs that is home made at this site www.hotrodsandhemis.com/Traction.html it might be all you need!

#8 ·
You don't get the same leverage with a pinion snubber. It also tends to slide across the contact area as the rear end rotates. I used to grease mine.
Mopars also use springs with a much shorter front half than the GM springs, about 5" on a Nova. This short front half is stiffer and harder to wrap up.

#10 ·
Mike Goble said:
You don't get the same leverage with a pinion snubber. It also tends to slide across the contact area as the rear end rotates. I used to grease mine.
Mopars also use springs with a much shorter front half than the GM springs, about 5" on a Nova. This short front half is stiffer and harder to wrap up.
Ahhh...ok...thanks Mike:)

#12 ·
Put some form of traction bar on it, you'll be a lot happier. My friend Steve is a MAJOR Mopar guy who puts the snubbers on all his Slopars, but when driving on the street, you drop it back down so the car isn't constantly banging against the snubber.
You could also try moving your leaves around to create am imitation version of the Mopar spring--I removed all the clamps from my 6 leaf multi's and moved the 2nd and 3rd longest leaves forward and drilled them for the locating pins, then clamped the whole thing in as many places as you can fit clamps, but leave the rear half of the spring un-clamped. It'll ride like crap but............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.