Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the consequences of incorrect pinion depth? Are we talking noise or are we talking damage?

If you had to choose which way to error, would it be having the pinion too close or too far from the ring gear?

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
You will have noise and damage. The gear really needs to be precisely set or it will cause damage either in or out too far.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One last question, hopefully. Tooth contact pattern. Check out the pictures on this site.
http://www.tpub.com/content/construction/14273/css/14273_198.htm

Right now I am using no shims and it looks like the pattern on the top right. Drive side is showing contact on the toe end and coast side is pretty much ideal. According to this site this is correct for a used set of gears which is what I have. Am I good to go now?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Setting up gears is more of an art than a science.

Even if it's only off a little it can cause overheating and excessive tooth loading that can cause it to at best wear out quicker or at worst some serious damage.

Setting up gears isn't hard, you just have to have the patience to make sure it's right since good and bad is only a couple thousands away. (and the right tools really helps too)

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
What are the consequences of incorrect pinion depth? Are we talking noise or are we talking damage?

If you had to choose which way to error, would it be having the pinion too close or too far from the ring gear?
Both!
Also creates more heat, the main cause of damage.

If you had a choice of wrong, deep is better, (pinion closer to axle center line) More shims.

And I say this with caution, if you were looking for a correct backlash and it's on the tight side or loose side by .001-.003 I would pick the tight side. And the pattern is still acceptable.

If it's more than this, send the gear back, and try for a better match set.

To much work not to be correct, this is one of those cases of not doing it right the first time "WILL" cost more the second. A broken ring and pinion can send shock waves threw the entire drive-line.

IMO
AL

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
1st off

is the gear all still together, is your carrier able to handle the new gears

do it right, its worth the time, the noise gets to be a pain, and it ruins the gears quick
if you have a 12 bolt, I have the tool that sets the starting point for depth, you have to set the depth, the preload, and the pattern has to be right, takes about 4 to 6 hours, and youll have it apart 10 times

well worth it though

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Heres a few pics of a nice pattern. Its not a 12 bolt but it gives you an idea of what the pattern should look like.

Coast Pattern

Drive Pattern

1 - 8 of 8 Posts