Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Just want to say thanks to you both for your time. You both invested a lot of time examining all my results and guiding me in the right direction. I feel like I just graduated from Ring and Pinion class 101. Again thank you. I will start the final assembly with the permanent bearings and shims now. I'll I reveal the results soon.
So I took it out for a test run and at first within a block I could hear the howling but kept driving and got about two blocks down the road and the sound quieted down. I can also hear the howling more when i let off the gas and coast. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,486 Posts
Hey SixtyThree, Sorry to hear that the differential gears are still making noise. As you changed the pinion shim thickness, the contact patterns didn't seem to change/spread as expected.... seemed to stay about the same. As previously mentioned, this set-up had me stumped.

You could try opening up the backlash to about .012 -.014 (as Ericnova suggested) to see if that helps... but I'm just not sure. Hopefully, someone else may have some additional suggestions.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yeah, it is what it is.

I hate to have to say it, but if you hadn't jumped the gun a bit in the beginning and took it for that initial test drive, then with the pattern you ended up with that would not seem to change regardless of adjustment I would have sent the gears back....that option went out the window on that first 2 block drive since most all vendors will not allow you to return gears that have been run.

It may quiet down some as it wear mates together, or it may not....other than possible backlash change, there isn't anything you can do to help them....they will either work in to a bit quieter or they won't.
Most of the aftermarket gear mamufacturing has moved offshore, and sets that won't pattern out acceptable are becoming a lot more common.....you hardly ever saw it 15 years ago, now it seems like almost 1 in 4 sets is a problem.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Yeah, it is what it is.

I hate to have to say it, but if you hadn't jumped the gun a bit in the beginning and took it for that initial test drive, then with the pattern you ended up with that would not seem to change regardless of adjustment I would have sent the gears back....that option went out the window on that first 2 block drive since most all vendors will not allow you to return gears that have been run.

It may quiet down some as it wear mates together, or it may not....other than possible backlash change, there isn't anything you can do to help them....they will either work in to a bit quieter or they won't.
Most of the aftermarket gear mamufacturing has moved offshore, and sets that won't pattern out acceptable are becoming a lot more common.....you hardly ever saw it 15 years ago, now it seems like almost 1 in 4 sets is a problem.
I was afraid of that. I had that in the back of my mind the whole time we were trying to dial it in after I jumped the gun and took it out. I'm seriously thinking about purchasing another ring and pinion set up and starting from scratch. lol You'll hear back from me in about a week when it gets in.

·
Registered
281 Posts
If your buying new gears you might consider these.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Yeah, it is what it is.

So yesterday I purchased another ring and pinion from Quick Performance and in the order I placed I noted a request for them to please add the pinion depth to the pinion gear as it was not etched on the last gear I had installed. So this morning I get a call from Quick Performance and the rep was calling me to tell me that for the particular set up I ordered they do not come with the specs etched into the pinion. He went on to inform me that that kind of information only comes etched on the higher end set ups which cost an additional $75.00. I told him to please replace the one I ordered with the higher end one cause it was quite difficult to dial in the proper settings without the specs. So now I am expecting to receive a set up with the proper settings etched into the pinion. The manufacturer is Motive Performance. Really looking forward to how much easier and less time consuming it will be to set it up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I think you'll find the Motive Gear set will give you a pattern you can read, mine did. I think you were sold a cheap, crappy gear set the first time around. This time don't get oil on the gears when using the marking compound. I always start with a .030 pinion shim and usually don't need to go far from that to get a good pattern. I also have a set up bearing that I honed out with a brake cylinder hone so it's a slip fit on the pinion, then use the new bearing for final assembly and pattern check. Saves a lot of pressing and potential bearing damage.

Reactions: SixtyThree

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I think you'll find the Motive Gear set will give you a pattern you can read, mine did. I think you were sold a cheap, crappy gear set the first time around. This time don't get oil on the gears when using the marking compound. I always start with a .030 pinion shim and usually don't need to go far from that to get a good pattern. I also have a set up bearing that I honed out with a brake cylinder hone so it's a slip fit on the pinion, then use the new bearing for final assembly and pattern check. Saves a lot of pressing and potential bearing damage.
True. As for the set up bearings I do have a set of bearings that I honed out and they are a real time saver. I also have a crush bushing eliminator which I was able to get pre-load dialed in from the previous install.

·
Registered
472 Posts
That was what I suspected with the gears from Quick Performance, they cater a lot more to circle track racers where some howl or whine really doesn't matter.

You'll be a lot happier with the Motive gear, they have always set -up well for me.

US Gear/Strange is probably the best, but I don't know if they even make them for the 8.2"....that is a rear that is really becoming obsolete and since it has no great strength capability there is no reason for any kind of hot rod, drag race driven market like there is for the 8.5" 10-bolt, 8.8" Ford, 9" Ford, 12-bolt Chevy, Dana 60.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
That was what I suspected with the gears from Quick Performance, they cater a lot more to circle track racers where some howl or whine really doesn't matter.

You'll be a lot happier with the Motive gear, they have always set -up well for me.

US Gear/Strange is probably the best, but I don't know if they even make them for the 8.2"....that is a rear that is really becoming obsolete and since it has no great strength capability there is no reason for any kind of hot rod, drag race driven market like there is for the 8.5" 10-bolt, 8.8" Ford, 9" Ford, 12-bolt Chevy, Dana 60.
I think your right. I did search for an 8.2 in US gear and nothing came up other than 9" ford.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts