Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to get the pilot bushing out of the back of the crank? Maybe a special puller??

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
There are pullers out there but they typically have difficulty with brass or bronze bushings.
You can fill the inside cavity and whatever deep well socket just barely fits in it with grease. Then cover the whole thing with a rag and hit the socket with a BFH. Do it with conviction!!:yes::devil: You will "Hydraulic" the bushing out!!
The real trick is to make sure there is NO air behind the bushing or in the socket to compress.

I've actually found the "Hydraulic" method to be faster than using any of the fancy pullers especially since the pullers have a tendency to destroy the bearing and take multiple attempts. :yes:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have gotten them out by filling the hole with grease and puttin a wodden dowl (read a stick) in the hole and tapping with a hammer comes right out

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
There are pullers out there but they typically have difficulty with brass or bronze bushings.
You can fill the inside cavity and whatever deep well socket just barely fits in it with grease. Then cover the whole thing with a rag and hit the socket with a BFH. Do it with conviction!!:yes::devil: You will "Hydraulic" the bushing out!!
The real trick is to make sure there is NO air behind the bushing or in the socket to compress.

I've actually found the "Hydraulic" method to be faster than using any of the fancy pullers especially since the pullers have a tendency to destroy the bearing and take multiple attempts. :yes:
If grease is to thin we have used a bar of soap and cut it up.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
If grease is to thin we have used a bar of soap and cut it up.
Oh no. The grease I get has a 550-to-575 drop point so it's pretty thick and sticky.:yes:

It also has less of a tendency to "Migrate" like some of the cheaper/thinner grease.:yes::rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
X4 on the axle grease. An old input shaft will work to drive the grease as well.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
You can use a tap also, just start tapping it in and when it gets to the back of the crank it will bring it out.
Unless it's one of the newer style roller bearings.:devil:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts