Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to Jeff for the new gauges they turned out perfect! Really a huge improvement with the tach over my broken clock. Excellent tech support too:yes::D Already driven 116 miles since I installed them last week.

·
Premium Member
3,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I have a different rearend and gears other than stock. I checked it yesterday with my GPS and it is about 10 mph faster than it should be. It was like that with the old cluster also. I need to look into getting something to fix it.

I have not had it up to 160 yet but I did rev it 6000:yes: It actually got stuck there for a few miles and I tapped on it and it started working again. Any idea why that may of happened? Thanks,

·
Registered
542 Posts
my new speedo seems to bounce quite a bit , gonna give a good greasing and see if that takes care of it.

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
Well I have a different rearend and gears other than stock. I checked it yesterday with my GPS and it is about 10 mph faster than it should be. It was like that with the old cluster also. I need to look into getting something to fix it.

I have not had it up to 160 yet but I did rev it 6000:yes: It actually got stuck there for a few miles and I tapped on it and it started working again. Any idea why that may of happened? Thanks,
I can re-calibrate your speedometer to compensate for your gear change. You won't need to buy a gear or anything. Just make a graph of what the speedo is reading vs actual MPH at several points either with your GPS or by having someone drive next to you in another car. If you send it back with the info, I can re-calibrate it to match your gears. Remember, these are set-up for the stock ratio unless people tell me otherwise.

As for the tach sticking, I would think that would be a grounding issue - especially since it worked again after tapping it. Make sure you have a good ground where the housing bolts to the dash. The tach is grounded to the housing. Either that or you can run a separate wire from the housing to improve the chassis ground.

my new speedo seems to bounce quite a bit , gonna give a good greasing and see if that takes care of it.
Bouncing is usually the cable binding but it can sometimes be the gauge. I test all of these out beforehand but anything's possible. If you can't get it squared-away, don't hesitate to send it back and I will either fix or replace it for free. You guys both have the SNS "warranty".;)

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
gauge cluster

I like the gauge cluster alot.

64PRONOVA,

Is it possible to use an electric mechanism with an original faceplate for the speedometer? I'm thinking about putting in a 4L60E and the tailhousing conversion for a mechanical speedometer is a little pricey. I've heard some say cable-X works OK but others say it is noisy. I'm just looking at all the possibilities before making a decision. Thanks, Mike

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
Anything is possible but I've never considered doing an electric speedometer. Depending on how "pricey" the cable kit is, it might be less money to go with a cable than to build a custom speedometer.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
speedometer

Anything is possible but I've never considered doing an electric speedometer. Depending on how "pricey" the cable kit is, it might be less money to go with a cable than to build a custom speedometer.
I have a 98 4L60e, the mechanical speedometer conversion kit is $500 from Shiftworks:
http://www.shiftworks.com/tailhousing.htm

I would like to keep the gauge cluster original but for $500 for the speedometer alone, I'm not so sure.

Mike

·
Premium Member
7,732 Posts
If I was going to do an electronic speedometer, I would probably buy a VDO or some other aftermarket brand and adapt it to the Nova face. By the time I built the speedometer plus the cost of the electronic sending unit you'd probably be looking at close to $500.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
If I was going to do an electronic speedometer, I would probably buy a VDO or some other aftermarket brand and adapt it to the Nova face. By the time I built the speedometer plus the cost of the electronic sending unit you'd probably be looking at close to $500.
I'm not sure what you mean by "electronic sending unit", the transmission already has the VSS output. I'm not sure if it would be easier to rescreen an after-market speedometer to look orinial or swap the face plate. Just investigating all options.

This is what happens when you change plans along the way. I was originally going with a 350 transmission which I had rebuilt.

Thanks, Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts