Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about adding Classic Auto Air Cond system to my '69 Nova w/250 6 cyl manual steering and 3-spd man transmission.
Right now I have a double fan and alternator pullies which appears to be stock.
Any pics of stock or after market mounting for the compressor would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Jim........

·
Registered
390 Posts
I don't know off the top of my head, but check out the post on the Argentinian Novas. All of those came with the 250 6-cyl, even the SS, so if anyone is going to have a AC optioned 6-cyl, those would be it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Found it! Not a picture, but here's a rocking video of a red 77 Serie 2 that has the 250 and AC. Looks like it goes over in the passenger side and up toward the top of the engine. Engine shot is at the 3 min mark.

https://youtu.be/pzCIf5MzvyA

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Jim.....

I've got a '69 Nova With Factory A/C , on a 250 I6,(155hp), 2dr, p/g, plain jane car....... bought new in Phoenix, AZ ---- with heavy duty cooling package... V8 radiator, 7 blade fan (3947772), and fan clutch (six cyl . a/c only------ I've been looking for one for over 20 yrs.)

the guy you need to see is "onecarnut" (Lou).... he added a/c to his '68 250 six (sanden a/c compressor mounted in the same place).
I, also have a lot more pictures.... if you want more

jim

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
That old Frigidaire A6 compressor is about half the size of the engine?.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim, thank's for the pic and info. I knew you had a '69 but did not realize it had factory air. A very rare option.
Jim.....

I've got a '69 Nova With Factory A/C , on a 250 I6,(155hp), 2dr, p/g, plain jane car....... bought new in Phoenix, AZ ---- with heavy duty cooling package... V8 radiator, 7 blade fan (3947772), and fan clutch (six cyl . a/c only------ I've been looking for one for over 20 yrs.)

the guy you need to see is "onecarnut" (Lou).... he added a/c to his '68 250 six (sanden a/c compressor mounted in the same place).

jim

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
Jim.....
/QUOTE]

I am not proficient in putting in pic's but if you look at post #33 on this link, it will show how my compressor mounts to the engine.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168292

If you want any specific view, just PM me your email address and I will try to provide.

Lou

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Jim

I just thought of another guy with a six with add-on air.

'Longroofguy'------ Ralph, he also lives in AZ. around the Phx. area...... he added a/c to his 230, and he may have some pictures of that on his engine....
He just now is going V8 in his '65 wagon...... very nice wagon too....

he does have some pic's in his book------ click on his sig.

jim

·
Vendor
1,762 Posts
Both the factory assembly manual and chassis service manual for your car will have lots of info and pics regarding the factory A/C setup. All the engine mounting brackets, pulleys, etc. are relatively the same through the run of L6 Novas (and similar models). Two items people often miss:

1) HEI cars used a "traditional" sized distributor with the coil mounted to the engine.

2) The A/C cars used a different length oil dip stick (and probably tube) at least in the 1st / 2nd gen cars.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
Two items people often miss:

1) HEI cars used a "traditional" sized distributor with the coil mounted to the engine.

2) The A/C cars used a different length oil dip stick (and probably tube) at least in the 1st / 2nd gen cars.
When I went to install the compressor over the HEI (coil in cap), there was interference.

I bought the mini electronic distributor from Langdon Stovebolt and it resolved that issue.

He uses a V6 distributor from an S-10 and makes it work on our inline engines. I highly recommend this distributor.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lou, thank's for the link. Decided to put air on my '69. Gota keep this 70 year old body cool on those hot summer days here in florida.

Jim.....
/QUOTE]

I am not proficient in putting in pic's but if you look at post #33 on this link, it will show how my compressor mounts to the engine.

http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168292

If you want any specific view, just PM me your email address and I will try to provide.

Lou

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I won't have that issue, as I have Langdon's mini distributor.
I may have to slightly modify my stock fuel line as I possibly see some interference with mounting the compressor bracket.

When I went to install the compressor over the HEI (coil in cap), there was interference.

I bought the mini electronic distributor from Langdon Stovebolt and it resolved that issue.

He uses a V6 distributor from an S-10 and makes it work on our inline engines. I highly recommend this distributor.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank's Jim. Will check his pics out.

Jim

I just thought of another guy with a six with add-on air.

'Longroofguy'------ Ralph, he also lives in AZ. around the Phx. area...... he added a/c to his 230, and he may have some pictures of that on his engine....
He just now is going V8 in his '65 wagon...... very nice wagon too....

he does have some pic's in his book------ click on his sig.

jim

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
I won't have that issue, as I have Langdon's mini distributor.
I may have to slightly modify my stock fuel line as I possibly see some interference with mounting the compressor bracket.
Yes, the fuel line was originally routed across the front of the engine, between the valve cover and thermostat housing.

For appearances, I routed my mechanical pump fuel line back towards the firewall, then between the engine and firewall, and then forward to the carb.

It is simpler if you are using an electrical pump, which I previously used.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Jim........ me,again........

I was down in Phoenix about last July / Aug (2016) and went to the wrecking yard..... DVAP...... and was looking for Nova six cyl. a/c parts. Like factory a/c set-ups ....... I was really looking for an a/c 'fan clutch' , because I can not find one.
So, I only looked at all mid year 60's - 70's G M cars (Nova, Apollo, Ventura, Omega, Camaro,.... any six cyl car)------ and there were a couple ... with the later style, smaller (Factory GM), a/c compressors .... one (an Omega, I think) had the whole set up. It was different from mine as it used the regular water pump.... but most everything was there (at that time)------- You may look for something like that, if there's any yards in your area. I'm just thinking out-loud..............

later,

jim

(that unit may have been a dealer install a/c)

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jim, thanks again for the info.
I have decided to go with the system from Classic Air.
I have ordered the compressor mounting bracket separately, (had to get that from Vintage Air) as I want to make sure it mounts up ok and visually check the belt alignment.
The unit from Classic has copper in the condenser and the box that mounts under the dash can be taken apart to service if need be.
Both manufacturers are rated good.
Will see how the install goes.

Jim..

I was down in Phoenix about last July / Aug (2016) and went to the wrecking yard..... DVAP...... and was looking for Nova six cyl. a/c parts. Like factory a/c set-ups ....... I was really looking for an a/c 'fan clutch' , because I can not find one.
So, I only looked at all mid year 60's - 70's G M cars (Nova, Apollo, Ventura, Omega, Camaro,.... any six cyl car)------ and there were a couple ... with the later style, smaller (Factory GM), a/c compressors .... one (an Omega, I think) had the whole set up. It was different from mine as it used the regular water pump.... but most everything was there (at that time)------- You may look for something like that, if there's any yards in your area. I'm just thinking out-loud..............

later,

jim

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well got the Compressor mounting bracket yesterday and got it painted and installed as of this AM.
Got it thru Summit but they get it from Vintage Air. A well made high quality product. Got a discount because Jegs was cheaper but could not get one?
Here's a couple of pics.

Jim.........

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts

later,

jim

look for a '77- '79 Caprice / Impala with the base engine (250 L6) and air conditioning. Just about all of those cars, regardless of engine, had factory air. Have only seen one, non air one, in this part of the country, in close to twenty years of yarding. They do, however, have the integral head and intake, so that may be a point of consideration, although the compressor in the pics in this thread, mounts on the passenger side of the engine.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
That's a nice a/c bracket..... and, mounts good to your engine.

jim

1 - 20 of 22 Posts