Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got it shipped from Hurst Driveline Solutions and it arrived at the UPS pickup today. I have a T56 in the car now, but want the stronger Magnum, and more importantly, the revised shifter locations (so I can keep my bench seat as-is). Can't wait to get it picked up and in the car.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might save it for the sedan. I will keep you in mind if I go a different direction.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Woohoo!! I will be installing it this weekend, along with the 443 LSx (finally!!).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Subscribed!
Looking to add a T56 to my Gen VI BBC
69 Nova.
How does the "kit" look?
I found that Hurst is pricey, heck the whole job is.
I am getting a lot of tech help from George at Rockland Standard.
I am going to piece mine setup together.
Determining HP/tq of engine first, I'll get the flywheel first, then clutch and hydraulic parts, pedals, etc
Trans will be last.
What rear gears are you running?
What trans ratio did you get?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not actually buy the kit. I just bought the T56 Magnum transmission, and I got it through Summit. I ended up going with the 2.66 1st gear because with the rest of the setup I did not feel I needed the lower 2.93 gear. I already have the clutch, shifter, floorpan modification, and hydraulics, so I did not need to do the whole kit (which I agree is too pricey!).

I have a McLeod twin disc clutch with a stock slave unit and an adjustable stock master, but I think I am going to go with a Tick adjustable or get one similar to the package offered by Hurst.

I am running 4.30 gears in the 9" rear and the ERL 443 should make north of 550rwhp. I am choking the motor with the LS3 heads right now, but they will be upgraded after I get the car on the road. The cam is quite stout, and the potential for the motor is around 600rwhp with the right heads. It should be pretty torquey, making the wagon a pretty fun little ride. :devil:

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, got the Magnum. It was right at $3000 shipped.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ha ha, actually that $ isn't funny at all!
As I understand it, the magnum is the beefier version of the old reliable T56 from the early 90's.
I believe RSG (rockland standard gear) adds more beef to it? George gave me the "Carrillo rods" analogy, he adds several parts to the magnum. Not sure if I'll need the plused up parts but, it can't hurt. My weak point should always be my tires.

You are piecing together like I want to. When the guys tell me on the phone that they get $150 for pedal assemblies, drop shipped from classic ind, and I can get them for under $90, I start to wonder what else they make money off? I am all about supporting vendors and all, but I feel that more is to be learned by research and asking the right questions of the right people.

Got a parts list handy?
You may have already posted one...on a quick lunch break!
Thanks

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
67 wagon
Mini tubbed
443" LSx (big cam, LS3 heads, Holley Hi Ram, 2" headers)
9" rear with 4.30 gears
3" exhaust
Checkered Racing front clip
My own design 4-bar rear
17" A/R 327 rallye wheels

I hope to have it running/driving this summer, but maybe still in need of paint.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts