Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of you know, I've been fighting a traction issue with my car. After talking to several companies and some stock suspension guys, I decided a change was necessary. I took my car to TRZ Motorsports in Kissimmee for a coilover install. My Heidts front clip previously had a separate coil spring and shock (Mustang II style). I had 2 inches of travel. John Calvert explained to me, I needed at least 5 in. of travel to make optimum use of my Caltracs. The travel has now increased to 5 inches and I'm hoping for a marked improvement in weight transfer and traction. The guy at TRZ said it may be too much but, the travel can be shortened. I have also been told, a rear double adj. shock is still needed. Can't swing that right now, have to wait. I pick it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
my car

was alot more stable going down the track with only about 1.5 inches of wheel travel. Felt like i could take my hands off the wheel and put it on cruise it helped it so much. Really brought in the reaction times too. Went to a solid .05-.005 depending on which converter i had in it.

I wonder if sliders would eleviate the need for so much frontend travel ??

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Any stock suspention type car NEEDS a minimum of 4.5" of front travel to make the suspention properly.

Stock suspention cars work on the premise of seperation not squat as a 4 link or ladderbar car does and to make that work effectively you need that front end travel.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
was alot more stable going down the track with only about 1.5 inches of wheel travel. Felt like i could take my hands off the wheel and put it on cruise it helped it so much. Really brought in the reaction times too. Went to a solid .05-.005 depending on which converter i had in it.

I wonder if sliders would eleviate the need for so much frontend travel ??
I have sliders.

Any stock suspention type car NEEDS a minimum of 4.5" of front travel to make the suspention properly.

Stock suspention cars work on the premise of seperation not squat as a 4 link or ladderbar car does and to make that work effectively you need that front end travel.

That's what everyone's been telling me. I tried everything else I could think of. We kept taking power out of the car to make it hook. The 1.48-1.50 60ft. times were just ridiculous. What's the sense in having HP and not being able to use it? Hopefully, that will change.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
How much pinion angle? Mine will go from blowing the tires away, to dragging the bumper just by adding a few degrees. I need at least 4° down.
Exactly....
Most leaf spring cars I set up have from -5* to -7.5*

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are set right now at -5 degrees. I'll start there and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
We are set right now at -5 degrees. I'll start there and see what happens.
Try the new front coilover setup and if still fighting it I would bet that a -6.5* in your car would work well:yes:

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Try the new front coilover setup and if still fighting it I would bet that a -6.5* in your car would work well:yes:
I have pinion shims to change it. I'm guessing that number has been successful in a car that you dealt with? I up for trying anything. I did pick the car up yesterday. TRZ Motorsports did a great job. I'm very pleased with their work.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I don't think the Cal-Trac's need as much as a slapper bar, but I ran 8° with my old set-up, and 4° is as far as I've needed so far with the new. When we did the mini-tub it removed 100lbs off the car; I put that 100lbs in the trunk and she stood right up! Without the weight it was doing 1.35-1.37 60 fts. on old slicks.
If my car was running I could do more testing! Maybe one of these days?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
your perches

I don't think the Cal-Trac's need as much as a slapper bar, but I ran 8° with my old set-up, and 4° is as far as I've needed so far with the new. When we did the mini-tub it removed 100lbs off the car; I put that 100lbs in the trunk and she stood right up! Without the weight it was doing 1.35-1.37 60 fts. on old slicks.
If my car was running I could do more testing! Maybe one of these days?
did you make those perches yourself ??? they look pretty neat.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
I have pinion shims to change it. I'm guessing that number has been successful in a car that you dealt with? I up for trying anything. I did pick the car up yesterday. TRZ Motorsports did a great job. I'm very pleased with their work.
just curious do you have any footage of your car leaving or running at the drags i just want to see it hall rrss :yes: :devil: :D

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
just curious do you have any footage of your car leaving or running at the drags i just want to see it hall rrss :yes: :devil: :D
I hope to get some video of the car with the new setup. I'd like to see it myself.

do you measure the pinion or the drive shaft angle also ?
oh your ugly

You take the angle of both the driveshaft and pinion and substract the two. That will be your final pinion angle.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
did you make those perches yourself ??? they look pretty neat
Dale (teddisnoke) designed them; they need to be made of a slightly stronger material--I tend to overtighten my U-bolts, and bent the perches because of it.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the car fired again yesterday. I plan on heading to the track on Friday night to try out the new changes. I still need double adj. rear shocks to complete the suspension but, I'll have to see how the single adj. work out. It was 102* temps here yesterday. I'm not sure how the track conditions will be. It will be fun to get out there again.

·
Premium Member
6,444 Posts
I got the car fired again yesterday. I plan on heading to the track on Friday night to try out the new changes. I still need double adj. rear shocks to complete the suspension but, I'll have to see how the single adj. work out. It was 102* temps here yesterday. I'm not sure how the track conditions will be. It will be fun to get out there again.
Cool but PLEASE don't forget the video camera.:yes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts