Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK now don't laugh..lol I can tell she isn't to sure of it but I think it looks cool. My Nova is lowered with 17's so I thought hers should be jacked up a lil with something old school.. I don't have the fronts on yet but will hopefully tomarrow. I'm thinking we need some bigger tires in the rear though.

Here is what we had before.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I like the old ones better but them again Im kinda partial to slots. Definatly need bigger tires on the new wheels

·
Premium Member
1,342 Posts
I like the slotted mags too

Pictures of said girlfriend

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I never knew so many people liked slotted mags. I think they would be ok if they were polished but they look horrible to me the way they are. I like the cragars but think I will get some 15"s and get some that fit and don't stick out of the quarters.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
With the 14's the car needs to sit lower and a larger tire to fill in the wheel well, IMO. The slots look better fitment wise, but I prefer the shiny Cragars!:yes:

·
Premium Member
2,106 Posts
Why not just polish the slots? But, if keeping the Cragar's, definately bigger tires, and a little lower ride height.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think I'm going to polish the slots. I like cragars but they are just the wrong backspacing. It has to be jacked up like that just so the tires don't rub over bumps and cornering..

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Slots are cooler as long as they fit nice, polish them, and gets some white lettered tires, and a white rally nova stripe down the side to break up all the blue.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Front still has center caps. The rears were nasty so I tossed them. And also the color of the car is horrible and will be changed, After I finish all my other projects and repaint my Nova again. lol. I can't decide what I'm doing with the wheels. The tires on the slots are 225 70 14 and they rub when turning and the rear rubs on the wheel lips. So I guess they are the wrong backspace also.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
I like the Cragars cuz they are shiny and look like the ones I used to have back in the day. I like slots too - especially if they are polished with the center caps. You need to find some with the correct backspacing for a Nova. You need 4.5" backset on the rears. I would go with a 7" wide rim - you can get 255's on there then with no problem. I have 255/60/15 on mine with a 8" wide rim with 4.5" bs. I have a slight rub on the passenger side - wouldn't have that with a 7" rim. The stance of the car with the slots looks much better - so if I were you I'd look at getting the correct fitting rim and tire - in either style or whatever you want. There is a "sticky" thread at the top of the 3rd Gen section on this too...

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
I like the Cragars cuz they are shiny and look like the ones I used to have back in the day. I like slots too - especially if they are polished with the center caps. You need to find some with the correct backspacing for a Nova. You need 4.5" backset on the rears. I would go with a 7" wide rim - you can get 255's on there then with no problem. I have 255/60/15 on mine with a 8" wide rim with 4.5" bs. I have a slight rub on the passenger side - wouldn't have that with a 7" rim. The stance of the car with the slots looks much better - so if I were you I'd look at getting the correct fitting rim and tire - in either style or whatever you want. There is a "sticky" thread at the top of the 3rd Gen section on this too...
But finding aluminum slots with the correct backspacing is VERY hard. Most of them seem to have been made with 3.5" from what I have found :(

Back in the day when they were popular, wheels sticking out past the rear wheel lips where cool :cool: , not so much any more.

I knew there was a company that was making new aluminum slots again, just can't remember who. :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
Why not just polish the slots? But, if keeping the Cragar's, definately bigger tires, and a little lower ride height.
i completely agree! go get some sort of polishing attachment ie for air compressor, or electric drill...whatever and polish those things up.

i bought a whole set from my friend with tires for ~$25 and polished em up and put them on my other nova when i sold it. that car had more mud in it than anything else ive seen but the buyer thought it looked great with those polished slots on it! :yes:

my .02

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is a pic of how the car actually sits with the slots. The other pic is decieving because of where the car was parked. Bottom line is, neither set of rims we have fit without the rear being all jacked up.. So I might as well get some bigger tires on the back and put some yellow traction bars on it and add a few more stickers to the quarter windows lol.

Eventually when we can afford to we will buy some new rims, or I'll give her the Torq Thrust II's off my car and i'll buy somthing else.. Its just not in the budget at the moment. Thanks for all the feedback. I never knew so many people still liked slotted mags.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Get a Mothers Power Ball and a couple of tubs of polish and polish away.:yes: They will look great! Or get the correct size Craigers. I love both rims but the Craigars you have are not flattering.:no:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts